twentysix

"But for now it's time to run

"But for now it's time to run."

Song: Run Boy Run by Woodkid

. . . . .

Maria couldn't breathe.

It was the cutting off of her airway that woke her up from her sleep. She didn't even remember falling asleep. She and Bucky - after their long talk about Howard and Maria - had moved to the couch to begin their Star Wars movie marathon, which she had promised Lily that they would have. But now she was awake, and terrified.

As Maria's back hit the floor, her eyes opened wide to see her soulmate above her. Only it didn't really look like him. His normally crystal blue eyes were pitch black. She had never seen anything like it, but she couldn't deny that she was scared.

"B- Bucky," she cried out, clawing at his metal arm, which was wrapped firmly around her throat. Maria tried to kick at him, but her legs were pinned beneath his. In all honesty, Maria wouldn't have minded being choked out by the man, other than the fact that it was becoming increasingly clear that what was happening wasn't a sexual thing.

"Маленькая девочка - моя миссия."

That was when Maria knew it wasn't her Bucky that she was in the presence of.

It was the Winter Soldier.

Steve had told Maria that they had struggled before she arrived with Bucky randomly turning into his alter ego. It happened when he had a very specific type of dream - the one where the words were said and he was sent on a mission. That must have happened during their slumber on the couch. Which meant that it was going to take a lot for her to break him out of the "spell" he was under.

"I- I'm n- not y- your m- mission," Maria gasped, trying to wiggle out from under his hold. She kicked up as hard as she could. It knocked him off his balance just enough for her to scramble up from underneath him. "I don't want to hurt you, Bucky."

"Глупая маленькая девочка, думающая, что ты можешь причинить мне боль."

"Назови меня «маленькая девочка» еще раз и посмотри, что произойдет, солдат," Maria threatened. "Это не ГИДРА. Ты в безопасности."

"Я никогда не в безопасности. Я солдат. Я выполняю приказы. И мой приказ - убить тебя."

Bucky jumped over the couch, cornering the girl and choking her out once again. It had been months since Maria had fought anyone. She was rusty, to say the least. Punching him was like hitting a brick wall, only for that brick wall to get exponentially angrier. Her swings were only so hard, and it didn't help that she felt like she was back in HYDRA's hold. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt him, but she felt like she had no choice. That was the exact same situation she had been in months ago with her team.