nine

"And I know I've become dismissive

"And I know I've become dismissive."

Song: Recovery by James Arthur

. . . . .

Maria leaned her head against the wall of the waiting area. She was exhausted, having slept little in weeks. So she let her eyes flutter shut in hopes of getting a few minutes of sleep before her therapy session with Dr. Raynor.

"That looks uncomfortable," commented a deep voice, making Maria open her eyes for a moment. This allowed her to see her soulmate sitting down next to her on the ugly brown couch she was currently residing on.

"I've slept on worse."

"Someone sounds grumpy."

"I'm tired," Maria said. Bucky hummed for a moment before tossing his arm over Maria's shoulder. This time the girl actually lifted her head up and looked at him.

"I guarantee you that my shoulder is a lot more comfortable than that wall."

Maria nodded and leaned into his flesh shoulder. She could feel the hand that was draped around her rubbing small circles on the skin of her bicep. The girl felt engulfed by him - warm and protected all wrapped in one. This was the most physical contact they had had with one another, though they had been getting better at that.

Over the last week or so, he had been spending more and more time with her. Maria didn't mind one bit. She hadn't realized how funny and intelligent the man was. More than that, he was always wanting to touch her. Not in a sexual way - though there had been times where Maria had thought about it. Every touch that Bucky had given her felt like sparks lighting up beneath her skin. Most of the time it was a holded hand or an arm draped over a shoulder.

"Better," he asked, noting how Maria had gotten very still and quiet in the few minutes she had been leaning against him.

"Much."

"Good. Now, are you going to tell me why you're so tired?"

"I'd rather actually talk in my session with Raynor."

"Really," chuckled Bucky. "Talking to me is that bad?"

"Talking about why I'm not sleeping is."

"Says the one who cornered me and made me talk about why I was avoiding you."

"Ah ha," shouted Maria, jumping up off the couch to point down at Bucky. "You admitted it! You were avoiding me!"

"Miss Stark?"

Both Maria and Bucky turned to see Dr. Raynor standing in her doorway, looking down on the two of them through her glasses. Maria glared at Bucky as he chuckled under his breath.

"I'll be with you shortly, Mr. Barnes," announced Raynor as she followed Maria into her office and shut the door. The girl sat down on the unpleasant couch, regretting her decision to take therapy more seriously. Between Bruce telling her that she can train if she starts trying and having some big revelations come to light as of late, she knew she needed this... even if that meant dealing with Dr. Raynor.