71 (Gus's POV)

Darkness. That's all I could see. I was surrounded by darkness, not being able to see or hear anything.

* A few hours earlier *

We were all walking back towards the tents, laughing at a joke Caleb made about Pop-Pops nicknames, when I realized that Scarlet wasn't with the group, and we were pretty much walking in a horizontal line.

I stopped, turned around, noticed she was gone, and then scrunched my eyes and turned back towards the group that stopped and were looking at me weirdly.

"Uh... where's Scarlet?" I asked and everyone looked around for her. "The fu-" Tom started but was interrupted by a girl screaming bloody murder. It sounded just like Scarlet.

I went wide eyed and we all took off towards the sound. 45 minutes. We've been looking and calling for her for 45 minutes and nothing.

We decided to head back to the tents and check there because we haven't yet. When we got there, she was no where to be seen. Not in the parking lot, not in either of the tents, not around the area, no where.

I was seriously about to break down. "I told her not to take off! Especially with that stupid dream." Colby said as he punched a tree and then put his head on it.

"What dream." I asked as I looked at him. "She had this dream where she was alone, running through the woods with something chasing her. I told her not to leave my side and she promised." He said, angrily. "Aye whoa whoa, this most likely isn't her fault." I defended and looked at him.

Is he seriously blaming her?

"How else would she be lost Gus?!" He yelled and turned to me. I raised my eyebrows and folded my arms. "She was behind us, maybe she got lost. Or something could have been taken and we didn't pay enough attention." I said with a hint of guilt.

He scoffed and shook his head. He was pissed, and making me pissed.

"Whatever." I said and turned towards Tom who was glaring at Colby. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the outline of a girl. "Scarlet?!" I asked in disbelief. Everyone's head snapped towards her.

Once I confirmed it was her, relief washed over to me. I dropped my flashlight and took off towards her. "Scarlet!" I yelled.

I heard everyone following me as I ran to my best friend.

Right when I was about to get to her, she disappeared into thin air. But I had no time to think about that, I was about 3 inches from the edge of a cliff. My eyes went wide as I tried to slow down and stop myself, only, it was too late.

I was falling off the edge.

"SHIT!" I yelled as I tumbled. "GUS!!!" I heard them all yell. But nothing after that because I hit my head and body on a rock. Hard.

The next thing I know, I can't see or hear anything.

* Present *

It was a trap. Was this what Pop-Pop was talking about? The really bad thing that was gonna happen?

My thoughts are paused by the man of the hour, Pop-Pop.

"Pops! How the hell can I see you?" I asked.

Ever since I was knocked out, I've been laying down, looking up at the darkness, thinking.

"Hi Spidey. I can see you weren't as careful as I told you to be." He said and raised his eyebrows, standing above me with his hand out.

I took it and he helped me up. I felt so airy.

"I thought it was her..." I said and he sighed. "I know son. I know." He said and patted my shoulder. "What's happening to me?" I asked. "You're in the in between, waiting to be saved or to go." He said and I nodded slowly.

How did he say that so casually?

"She's worried about you." He said after a minute and my eyes went wide. "She's okay?!" I asked and he nodded with a smile. "She's with you." He said and I sighed of relief, throwing my head back.

"You really love her, don't you?" He asked and I nodded. "Yeah but not like in a relationship way. Ew." I said and laughed.

I love Scarlet, I do. But I could never be in a relationship with her. She's my best friend and it annoys the shit out of the both of us when people assume that we're dating because we're so protective over one another. I'm sure the 'I love you' 's and how close we are doesn't help but still. She's my best friend.

She's been there for me when no one else was and vice versa. She's literally my 4lifer. I couldn't live without her and vice versa. We're best friend soulmates and nothing could change that.

It's just like Sam and Colby, except she's a girl.

"If you really do, fight for your life. Fight for her and Caleb." He said and I nodded. "Now, wake up. You need to do something. Anything." He said and I nodded.

I tired to make some movement of any kind. I was just so weak. I tried and tried and tried to the point where I almost gave up. Until I heard it.

Scar's voice.