Worst Intentions (T)

Worst Intentions written by Emylawrence

i. COVER & TITLE

I like covers that show off the genre because then people know what they're getting into. However, I think there are places for this cover to improve simply because it's so simple. The 'intentions' part is a little hard to read, and the darker haze of the cover picture makes the blue not stick out as much as it could. I'm terrible with graphic design, so take that into account, but I do know what would stick out to me as a reader, so that's where that comes from. It still looks professional and representative. I would recommend working with a designer to create something just a little more readable and unique.

As for your title, it's not the abstract-crazy fantasy titles I'm used to, but I still do like it. It gives us some insight into what might go on here, and it also stays away from anything overly cliche, so I like it.

ii. BLURB

Without having read a word of the blurb, I felt as though it's too long. After reading, I found most of it to be pretty essential information. This happens sometimes--where books just don't fit into the blurb format we want them to. So with that being said, I think you should try to edit out as much as you think you can to make it just a little more manageable to readers on Wattpad. If you're seeking publication, the length you have would be perfectly manageable.

Moving on from the length, I have a few other tips that might help your blurb. First off, I always want writers to take full names out of their blurbs—and never put them at the beginning. Readers just don't care what Celia's last name is, and it doesn't add anything to the blurb and what we get from it. All it does is give us one more word we're not familiar with right off the bat. It's harmful to a reader's working memory, and while that all seems awfully dramatic, it's the little things that make blurbs work. So I'd recommend taking the last name out or at least moving it somewhere else.

The last thing I think you should do is include your title at the end of your blurb. 'Worst intentions' fits pretty well into a sentence, and it's already almost mentioned already. Having your title in your blurb is extremely effective in drawing readers, as well as giving them a sense of a firm, exciting ending.

1 3 / 1 5