Firefly (T)

Firefly written by BelaniR

i. COVER & TITLE

Your cover is ticking some of my boxes, but not quite all of them. I like the picture and the subtitle, but I don't love the fonts used simply because they're very basic fonts that you'd find on a lot of free designer apps and sites. I'd recommend sending the picture to a designer (tons in my reading list) and working with them to get your cover to where it best appeals to the eye.

Your title is also okay, but not quite incredible. It's sort of unique, but because it doesn't connect to the cover nor the blurb, it doesn't really jump out at me. Do you think there are any other things in your book that would make a great title? Something to do with the town, maybe?

ii. BLURB

The most pressing problem concerning your blurb is the grammar. Your hook is one big, long run-on sentence, so it's not ideal. We want a sentence that's simple and easy to understand right off the bat. That way, we can hook readers into reading more. I'm not entirely sure how to reshape the overall plot and organization of your blurb, so I'll simply rewrite it with some commas and gentle grammatical fixes:

When the person you used to love is no longer the same, things can get confusing. And when we revisit places that we thought we'd never visit again, memories of the past can come back to the surface.

After three years, the town of Blackwood is still being haunted by secrets and sorrows. Nightmares and forgotten loves are back, and although life must go on, that doesn't mean it's at all easy.

Couple things I'd like to mention. For one, this blurb is too short in my opinion, and it's not concise enough about what the actual plot of the story is. We have no main characters, no conflicts beyond generalization about secrets and memories. Second, this blurb doesn't really have a structure to it. There is no beginning, no middle, no end that connects back to the title or cover. I think you'd benefit from scrapping this blurb and rewriting something that is a little more specific, keeping the above points in mind.

0 8 / 1 5