An Unsuspected Apprentice

With that the flame screen closed in on itself and swirled into the palm of her hand, closing her hand the fire dispersed

"And that's how I joined the the Great Cicada Monk on his journey to retrieve the scrolls on their grand adventure to the west..."

The three mortals stared blankly at the air where the screen was and had to process her words for a bit.

"Wait-!!?" Tang instantly stood up from his seat almost dropping his notebook and ink utensils, "You—!"

Mei and MK shoved the poor scholar aside as they beamed up at her with huge admiring grins.

"YOU WERE APART OF THE JOURNEY!?"

"YOU KICKED ASS IN THAT WAR!!"

"Yeah! The Demon Fox King finally died!"

"Thank god! Or else I would've hunted him down myself for harming our little Ren!"

"Agh! Ren! We gotta find a way to unseal them!!"

"But how!? They're in that super duper prison realm of eternal and stuff-!!"

"Ah-! Your right! But that could be centuries!!" MK panicked as he gripped his headband.

Jinhua quietly got up from her seat and grabbed all the tea cups with her tea set, "It's fine. I've accepted it long ago after giving up on finding a way." She hummed lightly as she stalked back to her open kitchen and now hand cleaning the cups and kettle.

MK and Mei followed after her and sat at a counter bar with stools that gave an open view of the kitchen.

"But wasn't Ren like your own child...? You know like the bonds of a demoness are strong.. How long were you searching for?"

Jinhua paused in her scrubbing with a white cloth.

"For 267 years I searched for an answer..." She sighed, placing the cups and kettle on a towel to dry.

She leaned against the counter where they sat at with a soft smile, "It's fine. I'm over it by now. After all it's been around 1362 years since it happened."

"What!?" Mei shrieked, "That means Ren has been without they're Ma for exactly 1362 years!!"

"Aghhhh that's too sad-!!"

Jinhua just let out a light chuckle as she walked around the counter with a book under her arm, "I'm perfectly fine and happy now." She wrapped her arms gently around the two teens and brought them in for a side hug on both sides, "As long you two don't get hurt like I failed Ren then I'm as happy as I could be.."

Mei and MK stiffened at the statement and almost could feel they're own tears pricking they're eyes.

"But you didn't fail them-!" MK tried to reason, but he was cut off by Jinhua as she placed a finger lightly on his lips to silence him.