A Spider's Rise | 1

"Ma'!! C'mon

"Ma'!! C'mon....!" A child's voice whined out, "We're gonna be late for the parade—!!"

Fixing up the child's haori, a chuckle erupted from the demoness' lips, "You can't leave until I tie this up, or else you'll trip when you start running around, Ren."

Ren jutted his lip out into a pout, crossing his arms, he turned his head to the side, "Fine... Since I wanna look cool like Pa'..."

A hand was gently placed on the demoness' shoulder as the person in question leaned over her to get a good look at Ren, "So that's why you chose that haori, huh? To look like me?" He teased with a grin, showcasing his canines.

"I- Well... Yeah! Got a problem with that!?" Ren flailed his arms around in annoyance.

"Now, now, stop moving around so much, I've almost tied it up firmly." The demoness gave the man beside her a sharp look, "And stop your little teases, Macaque."

The simian raised his hands up in defeat, "Whatever the head of the house says." He saluted with a serious face. Resulting in Ren snickering at his expression and posture.

Jinhua shifted to the side as she pulled out some sound nullifying ear buds. She handed them to the simian as he started to hold them up with furrowed brows, "They work, don't worry." She chuckled.

"Well that's good. I don't wanna go deaf mid way through." Macaque chuckled as he started putting them in. Ren climbed up on his back to get eye a good look.

With a roll of her eyes, Jinhua let out a small laugh at the two, "Honestly you two are gonna be the end of me." At that she got up from her kneeling position and went to grab some cash for the festival.

Macaque was tying a small fur rimmed robe as another coat for Ren as he held another for Jinhua, "You gotta be on your best behavior, Ren.. No teleporting or showing your tail."

Macaque used his glimmer to shift into a more humane look.

Ren looked up and nodded slowly, "I don't understand, Pa'.. Why can't we just walk the streets without using these illusions and spells...?"

Macaque smiled sadly and rubbed his head affectionately, "This world has yet to understand that demons and humans are not so different from each other. Instead Humans and mortals choose to live in fear for what they cannot understand.."

Ren looked down at his purple and blue splotches skin tone, "But... That's just stupid..!" He huffed with a scrunched up nose.

A small chuckle was heard behind the two boys, "Indeed it is, my little sugar plum. But that's just how it is. The world is a very cruel and unjust place." Jinhua grabbed one of Ren's hands, "But... That doesn't mean the world is just that... It's filled with the things we also love most."

Ren blinked in awe as he looked up at his parental, "Like family...? A-And mochi?"

"That's right, bud." Macaque punched his cheek playfully, "All we need is Family and mochi. With that, nothing can stop us."