Another Side

Bringing the blanket over Ren, Jinhua let a hum fall from her lips as she tucked the child in her bed

Her eyes softening at the sleeping form, observing how his chest rose slowly with each breathe he took.

The small quiet knock on the door frame, brought Jinhua back. Her body turning to face Macaque who leaned on the wooden beams, wearing some more comfortable clothing as he held a cup of coffee to his lips.

"Your hair is shorter than I remembered..." Jinhua spoke up first. Her eyes flickering over the dark toned locks that framed his tanned skin.

Macaque let out a snort as his tail swayed behind him, "It got in the way, so I chopped it off to get a feeling of change in this new era."

"A shame. I liked your long hair, they made the best braids..." Jinhua chuckled softly as she made her way over.

"I'm sure you thought so... Come on. I need to discuss some certain events with you... I'm sure you have many questions." He held his hand out with his other holding the mug.

At that Jinhua's smile dropped as she placed her gloved hand in his.

"I have plenty unanswered one's. But they were not for you." A scowl made its way up her face, "But that will wait another day..."

Macaque didn't push her for his own questions about that, so he instead led her away from the room and into the sunroom that hung multiple flowers of assortment.

As they sat down on the fabric covered couch, Macaque stared down at the brown beverage with a unreadable expression.

Jinhua leaned forward in her spot and pressed her finger tips together to try and focus her thoughts, "How are you alive...?"

"I should've expected that one.." He scoffed out in a small snort.

"This isn't a game, nor joke, Macaque....!" Jinhua grabbed his cup from the top and placed it down on the coffee table in front of them. She then grabbed hold of his hands and gave a slight squeeze. Violet met gold.

"I watched you die in my arms...! It's the worst feeling imaginable for the person to watch a beloved die in front of them and not be able to do anything about it." She whispered solely for him to hear, "I watched the light die in your eyes... I felt your body grow cold and limp.... I heard your last spoken words from your dying breathe..!" She shut her eyes when she felt the sensation for the urge to cry. But she held it in for the simian in front of her because of the expression of his.

He looked so torn and guilty.

He leaned in and placed his forehead gently against her own, "I'm sorry, my love.... I'm sorry for putting you through such a thing.... But honestly.. I have not the slightest clue how I was released from the grip of the grim reaper..."

"Not one?"

"Just that I feel a certain debt to them..."

Jinhua closed her eyes and focused on the simians relaxed breathing, "It was devastating..."