Ren (Lotus) & Bai'he (Lily)

Sitting out in a small oasis, settling down for the night, Ren fixed up camp and lit a campfire

'Your pretty good at this.' Bai'he formed a translucent image of herself next to the demonic child, her wispy hair floating like spilled ink.

Ren tossed a few sticks into the fire to keep it going, "I've had some experience with traveling by myself."

'Sounds lonely.' Bai'he floated down and sat beside him, hugging her knees to her chest.

"It was." Ren shivered, feeling the slight chill in the night air, "It was with my previous master."

Bai'he tilted her head at the mention of the person, "Were you saved by the Nice Cat Lady, too?"

Ren snorted, a delicate smile danced on his lips, "In a way... Yeah. She saved me." He glanced over at the wispy girl, "How did she save you?"

Bai'he frowned and turned away from the boy, her eyes catching the flickers of flames in the corner of her eye, 'She saved me during the attack on New Year... 'The Spider Attack' people still call it.' A weak smile grew on her face, 'She saved me from the flames.' She tucked her face into the crevice of her knees, 'I was the only one to survive the carnage in my apartment building...'

Ren frowned, "That bad, huh?"

Bai'he snorted, 'Pretty bad. But... The Nice Cat Lady appeared and rescued me from the hungry flames... The acid and rotting smell of burnt flesh... The shearing heat that made my clothes stick to my skin uncomfortably...'

Ren stuck his tongue out playfully, "Eewww... Yucky clothes..."

'The disrespect...!'Bai'he tried swatting the boy but quickly came to a realization that she wasn't fully physical and stopped abruptly. Staring down at her pale and see through hands, she frowned and tucked them into her pockets.

Ren chuckled and leaned backwards, his shoulders hunched up in a relaxed position, "Ya know... Even if we lived totally different lives and are different beings entirely..."

Bai'he rolled her eyes with a amused smirk, 'Yeah, who would see a demonic child and a human kid in the same place at this time of age?'

"Pa' once told me that the demons were all still in semi hiding... Scared of the fearful mortals and they're erratic fear driven actions..." Ren rubbed his hands together, his cloak providing only so little warmth.

Bai'he watched the boy go over his thoughts, 'He's right to think so... It had been proven more than once in history. Wars... Revolutions... Coups... Slavery in our own race... It's all there...'

Ren blinked and tilted his head at the girl, "Mortals can be seen as frightening creatures... Driven more by feelings than logic... But I've learned... that is exactly what is so beautiful about the human life.... It can be so fleeting sometimes... That they just do what they wish without regret because they know.. They have such elusive lives..."

Bai'he stared at him with a blank look, 'You sounded really poetic, just now.'

Ren raised a hackle on his nose, "Don't say that... It makes me think that Pa's reading is rubbing off of me...." He let out an annoyed groan. Falling, he fell onto his back and stared straight up into the night sky. He held up his small little claw, trying to reach out and garb the moon that stared back.

The fleeting silver orb in the sky defied everything and only chased the sun... A forever cycle on repeat for all eternity.

"Hey... Bai'he...?"

The floating girl, teleported over and appeared across from him, laying on her back and letting her head rest beside his, 'Yeah?'

"What are you gonna do after all of this...?" Ren kept his gaze focused on the decorating silver lining in the sky. A multitude of colored dots decorated the dark void.

Bai'he fell quiet, her mind running so quickly that she tried to formulate a thought into a few words, 'I... I-I don't know...'

Ren turned his head slightly. His eyes catching hers, "When I free you from that wicked lady's clutches... When we're both free..." He slowly held up his hand on the ground, "How about coming with me?"

Bai'he's eyes widened, 'Huh?'

Ren grinned at her baffled look, "You know... Like come home with me. Become family..."

Bai he was now fully turned to the demonic child, her mouth left agape at the random offer, 'But why...?'

"Well... I just thought..." Ren stammered with a nervous laugh, "Just maybe... You could have a family again... Maybe it's too early after what happened to you in the attack... But I have this.. This urge..." His hand then trailed up his chest and landed on the spot above his heart, "But I just feel that you should come with me... Back home with my family..."

Bai'he felt her eyes water as fat tears trailed down her cheek and fall to the ground. A small puddle formed around her cheek as she stared at the kid next to her, 'You... You would accept a mortal into a family of demons...?'

Ren nodded with a big smile.

'I'll die first, you know...' Bai'he scrunched up her nose as her eyes began to sting, 'I'll grow old and get all wrinkled... And all of you would still look the same...'

Ren held up his hand, a soft smile decorated his face as he spoke, "And I'll still cherish you and love you... Like any family should..."

Bai'he closed her eyes tightly, her bottom lip trembled as she continued to weep in front of the boy that wrapped his cloak around her, 'Your so stupid...'

Ren only smiled, "It's a family thing... We do stupid things for our loved ones."

Bai'he snorted in his embrace, 'Hopefully I don't inherit it...'

"No promises."