A Fragile Truce

Dodging a jab to her side, Jinhua twisted her waist in a fluid moment and connected her blade just as swiftly as she slid her wooden sword down to her opponent's hand

Mei stumbled back in surprise at the sudden counter attack and caught her bearings as she jumped back to gain distance.

"Remember, Mei. Keep her legs squared and your dominant foot in front." Jinhua called out and showed her the position more comfortably, "Once you get your stance down, it'll be hard for your opponents to break it and trip you up because of your loose center balance."

"Oh! Okay!" Mei did as told but her feet were placed wobbly as she tried to stay relaxed, "Bring it, Master!" She called out with a determined look.

"Remember to keep your grip loose so you can block an attack or counter when ready!" Jinhua stated just as she sprinted forward and strike downward at the girl's back leg.

Mei with her quick reflexes caught the attack with her blade and slid her wooden sword up to Jinhua handle to try and make her discard her weapon.

But Mei was surprised to see Jinhua high kick the wooden sword into the sky on just reflex.

Mei stood there with no weapon in hand as Jinhua pointed her blade down at Mei and bopped her on the head with the face of the wooden sword.

"Now what did you learn today and and what do you need to practice on?" Jinhua caught the wooden sword in her free hand that went flying a minute ago.

Mei sighed and stood up with the help of Jinhua as she grabbed the handle of the wooden sword.

"I need to work on my core balance and footwork... But I also learned that quick reflexes mean nothing if you aren't prepared to counter them just as fast." Mei stated, putting down a finger at each statement.

Jinhua smiled proudly and ruffled her hair softly with a soft chuckle, "It would also be helpful if you worked on your endurance.. I noticed that you were slowing down midway in the matches." She stated with a finger on her chin.

"Endurance, Balance, Reflexes... Uh.. Am I forgetting anything..?" Mei tilted her head in thought.

"We could try your flexibility after we finish those core exercises."

"Flexibility?"

Jinhua nodded as she demonstrated a swing of her wooden blade and continued to twist her body and somersault into a front split like she was dodging an attack at an impossible angle.

"Wow..." Mei gasped in awe, leaning on her resting wooden sword to observe.

"The sword dance isn't just about making your attacks look beautiful. It's a technique that allows one to have an immense stronghold in defense when defending against an attack. It might look beautiful to an outsider's view but it'll get annoying real fast for your enemies."