Imagine for Larry-or-naw (5SOS)

Emily's POV:

I was in class one day and noticed that I couldn't see the board too clearly. I raised my hand and asked the teacher if I could sit up closer to the board to see it better. He looked at me strangely, but allowed it. After class, my teacher wanted to talk to me. "Emily, how hard was it to see the board today?" "Kind of hard. It just looked blurry until I got up closer to the board" "I'm going to send a note home that I want you to give to your mom. I'm worried that you may need glasses, so I'm going to ask her to get you tested". He hands me the note and tells me to get it signed by my mom and bring it back by tomorrow in order to know that I gave it to her.

 When I get home, I give the note to my mom. She reads it and grabs the phone. "Hi, I'd like to make an appointment to get my daughter's eyes checked... tonight... that's fine, thank you". She hangs up and turns to me. "Em, I just made you an appointment with an eye doctor for today. We will have to leave in the next 20 minutes in order to make it on time. Go get ready". I run up to my room and start thinking. I'm not all that nervous about the actual appointment, but I'm a freshman in high school. I don't want to give the upper classmen any more reason to pick on me, and getting glasses would definitely give them one. I really don't want glasses, but I kind of need them in order for me to do well in school and be able to see the board. "Emily! It's time to get going". I grab my purse and some water and run downstairs where my mom is waiting in the car to go to the optometrist.

When we get to the optometrist's office, my mom signs me in and we wait for the doctor to come get me. A few minutes later, a guy with crazy hair comes out, "Emily?" I stand up and go over to him. "Hi Emily, My name is Dr. Clifford, but please call me Michael or Mikey. Are you ready to see what's going on in your eyes?" I nod my head and we head back to a room. "Please take a seat and we'll get started". I sit down on this huge chair and Mikey pulls a weird looking contraption right in front of my eyes. "Okay, this is going to determine what's wrong with your vision okay.

Once we know that, I can give you a prescription for glasses". I'm a little nervous about having to get glasses, but I nod my head and Mikey gets on with the procedure. He has me look through the device at a screen on the wall with letters on it, and asks if it gets clearer or blurrier. He continues doing this, until I say, "It's really clear". He writes down the setting he's at, and tries another setting to make sure that it doesn't get clearer at that setting. "Now it's blurry again", I tell him and he puts it back to the previous setting and I say, "it's clear". Once he's found out the setting for my prescription, he writes it down and tells me to go next door to get my glasses and hand them the prescription. I thank him and walk back out to the waiting room, to my mom. "How'd it go, hun?" I hand her the prescription and tell her, "Here's the prescription for my glasses. We have to go next door and get them". We then walk next door and a young guy wearing a doctor's coat is at the counter. "Hello, my name is Ashton, how can I help you today?" he asks as we walk through the door. I hand him my prescription and tell him, "Um, hi. I have to get glasses and was told to get them here" "Oh yes", he says and grabs the prescription from me, "Let's go in the back and try on some types of glasses to see which one's look the best on you". We walk to the back room and all I see are different styles of glasses, organized by shape, color, ECT. I go over to a rack with glasses that are round shaped and try on a pink pair. I look in the mirror and shake my head. "This doesn't look right on me". I then try on a different pair and they don't look right on me either. I need to find the perfect pair of glasses so that I don't get teased.

I continue trying on glasses and once I've tried on at least 50 pairs, I start to feel discouraged and start to cry. Ashton sees this and walks over and gives me a hug. "What's wrong chick?" he asks as I cry into his coat. "Nothing looks good on me! I'm just not pretty like the other girls, and now it's going to be even harder to fit in because I'm going to have glasses. I'm going to be the laughing stock of the school!" Ashton pulls me out of the hug and looks me in the eye. "Hey now, you are beautiful and if others don't see that, then it's their loss. You have a kind heart, and that makes you more beautiful than any other girl. Plus, so many wonderful people wear glasses and look beautiful in them. Katy Perry, Hilary Duff, Anne Hathaway, Madonna, Megan Fox, Jenny McCarthy, and so many others wear glasses and they look great in them. It's now even a popular trend that people who don't even wear glasses, wear them to look cool. We just have to find you the right pair, so let's keep looking, there has to be a perfect pair of glasses here somewhere". I smile up at him and thank him. We then continue to look for the perfect pair of glasses for me.

Ashton and I have already gone through almost the whole room, and I still haven't found the perfect pair of glasses. We go to this rack that has a bunch of square type, hipster glasses on it. I try a pair on and look at Ashton. He smiles at me and nods his head. "These are definitely the ones! They look perfect on you!" I look in the mirror and notice that he's right. They accentuate my face and give me an edgy vibe to my look and I really like them! I go out to the front area, where my mom was waiting, and show her the glasses. "Those look good on you, hun!" she tells me. We then give them back to Ashton and he goes in the back to put my prescription in them.

An hour later, he comes back, my glasses in a case and ready to go. We pay for them and are just about ready to go, when I run back and give him a huge hug. "Thank you so much! You really helped me in seeing that no matter if I have glasses or not, it's the inside that truly counts." He smiles and tells me, "Your welcome chick. Now go show off your beautiful new glasses!"

  A few days later, I'm in class when my teacher asks me to read off the board. Everyone looks at me and I bring out my glasses. I hear a few remarks, but for the most part I see a lot of people smiling and nodding in encouragement. I read the board and decide to just keep my glasses on for the rest of the class. One of the girls in my class leans over and say, "I like your new glasses". I thank her and know that even though some people may not like my glasses, the only person that truly matters whether they like them or not is me.