Imagine for Anonymous (5SOS)

Calum's POV:

I look down at the calendar, and I know that today is the day. Today is the day that I've been dreading for the past few months ever since we found out about it. Today is the day that we have to go to the medical bus for our well checks before we are able to go on tour. I've always been terrified of the doctors, but I hate feeling weak and like a little kid, so I haven't told the other guys about my fear. I've kept it hidden from them as much as I could, but I know that I won't be able to handle this well check very well. Already, my hands are sweating and my heart is beating too fast, and I'm not even there yet! Just thinking about it has my body in anxiety. "Hey Cal, they need you at the medical bus", I hear Luke tell me as he leans his head through my door. "U-um j-just a m-minute" I say, stumbling over my words and trying to stop my hands from shaking so much. I'm trying so hard to be brave and hold myself together because I don't need the other guys to think I'm a baby and tease me.

I head over to the medical bus and slowly walk through the door. "Hey Cal! Ready for your check up?" I hear Michael ask. I look at him and notice that he's in scrub clothes, and he has a clipboard with my chart on it in his hands. "U-um Mikey, why are you here?" I ask confused. "Don't worry Cal, I'm just going to bring you back to the doctor. I'm just the nurse", he says, thinking that that would make me not worried and clear everything up for me. "U-um okay", I say and follow him on back confused.

Michael takes me to a room and asks me to put on a gown. I do so, and then he grabs a thermometer and starts to stick it in my ear. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought you said you were just the nurse. What are you doing?" I ask, confused again why he would be doing anything medical at all. "I'm just going to take your temperature. You're fine Cal, just sit back and try to relax for me, k", he says as he slowly brings the thermometer to my ear and takes my temperature. As he's doing that, my heartrate is only going higher, and my panic is rising. "Cal, you okay mate? You're breathing is starting to sound like you're hyperventilating. What's going on buddy", he asks as he finishes checking my blood pressure, which I didn't even notice because I'm so terrified, and at that question, I break.

I start crying and panicking and shaking in fear. I can't help it. This is my one fear, and it's only getting worse as I've gotten older. "Shh, Cal, you're okay. Everything's going to be okay. I'm here for you. It's just your good friend Mikey. Nothing to be scared of", he says as he pulls me into his arms and tries to comfort me by holding me and rubbing my back. After a few minutes of this, I start to relax a bit in his arms and my breathing and crying slowly decrease. "Shh, mate, I've got you. I have to let you go for a second, but I'll be right back. I promise, nothing bad is going to happen to you", he tells me and leaves the room.

While Mikey's away, my fear starts up again in overdrive. I keep thinking of who's the doctor, and how they are going to poke me and prod me and find something's wrong with me, and then they'd have to operate on, and I'd die. I start shaking again and the tears are coming down in sheets all over again. I'm so distressed thinking about the doctor, that I don't even hear the knock on the door, and the next thing I know, Ashton and Luke are walking through that door with Mikey right behind them. "Hey Cal. How you doing bud?" Ashton asks me in a calming voice and as he sees the state I'm in, his face falls and he comes over to give me a huge hug. I'm still confused as to why Luke and Ashton would even be here, especially since they are both in doctor's scrubs, but none the less, they are comfort, and I really need some comfort, so I hug Ashton back and end up crying into his chest. "Ash, I'm scared. Please don't let them hurt me", I plead with him, and I can see all their faces grow even more somber. "Cal, everything's going to be okay. We are all here, and we are going to help you through it. However, we have to tell you a secret that we've been hiding for a while now. You may have wondered why we are all in scrubs. That's because we are doctors. Well, Mikey's a nurse, but still. I promise though, we won't hurt you. You are safe and we've got you. We'll tell you what we are doing before we do it, and at least one of us will always be there for you if you need it. We'll try to make this as least scary as possible for you", Ashton says, and I start freaking out again.

I try to get up and run, but Luke's blocking the door and he easily catches me and gently brings me back to the bed. "Calum, you're okay. It's just us. Your best friends. Nothing bad is going to happen", he tells me as he sits down next to me and takes my hand in his. I relish in the comfort he's giving me, and soon, I calm down a bit. "Okay, now can we start? All I'm going to do is listen to your heartbeat and lungs using this stethoscope. I promise, it won't hurt, just might be a bit cold", Ashton explains to me, and I hesitantly nod my head to indicate that I'm ready. He listens to my heart and lungs, then returns his stethoscope around his neck. "Good job Cal. Now, I'm going to check your eyes, ears, nose, and throat using this device", he says as he holds up an otoscope. "It's just going to shine a light for me to look inside. It shouldn't be painful, but if it is, let me know and I'll stop immediately", he says with a look of sincerity on his face. I again nod my head, and Ashton checks my eyes, ears, nose, and throat. "Okay, all good. Mikey already got your vitals, so we don't need to do that. The last thing that we have to do is check your abdomen for any tenderness or pain. All you have to do is lay down and relax. I'm just going to feel around on your stomach, and just tell me if you feel any pain, then you'll be good to go mate", he tells me, but I freak out again. I start shaking and Luke and Mikey gently push me down to lay on the bed, while I try to get up and run away. "Cal, you're okay. We are right here. Nothing bad is going to happen. Have we hurt you so far? No, and we aren't going to hurt you now. You trust us on stage, now trust us to help you", Luke says calmly and he takes my hand in his again to help comfort me. I look up at both him and Mikey and see nothing but concern and brotherly love on their face, and decide to trust them, even though I'm terrified out of my mind right now, and I nod my head for Ashton to continue.

While Ashton slowly and gently felt my tummy for any abnormalities, Luke and Michael continuously gave me support and encouragement, as well as Luke held my hand, and Mikey rubbed my arm to calm me down. "Okay Cal, you're all done. Everything seems to be good, and you're ready for the tour", Ashton says as he finishes up and washes his hands. I slowly sit back up and everything that happened in the last hour or so finally hit me and I feel so embarrassed and start crying again. "Cal, what's wrong? You're all done. Are you in pain?" Mikey asks as he pulls me into his arms to comfort me. I shake my head no, to tell him I'm not in pain, and say, "I'm just embarrassed. I mean, here I am, 19 year's old and scared of the doctor. I shouldn't be scared of anything. I'm an adult for crying out loud!" "Oh, Cal, it's perfectly okay to be afraid. It doesn't matter how old you are, or how silly it may seem. You can't control what you're afraid of. We can help you through it in whatever way you need us to. We are here for you and you are our brother. We love you", Michael told me as he pulled me closer to help calm me down, and all the guys surrounded and give me a huge group hug. "Thanks guys. You're my brothers too, and I love you. Thank you for helping me with my fear and being there for me", I tell them as I lean my head on Mikey's chest and just take in their comfort of gentle back rubs and soothing words. "No problem mate. We will always be there for you. Let's head back to the bus though. I bet you that I can beat you at FIFA", Luke says with a challenging smile on his face, and I say excitedly, "You're on! No one can beat me at that game. Well, Louis can, but he's not here, so... I'll definitely crush you!" We laugh at that and head back to the buses to play FIFA for the rest of the night.