Imagine for EmmaLogan4 (5SOS)

Emma's POV:

I have been living with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) for the past 3 years. MS is an immune-mediated disease in which an abnormal response of the body's immune system is directed against the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. It basically is an infection that makes me weak and it's really hard for me to have mobility. I first found out that I had MS when I was just 12 years old, and I've been living with it since then. It's not as common for younger kids to get MS, but I was one of the unlucky ones I guess. Ever since the dreadful day I found out that I had this disease, I've had to go to the doctors every two months for treatments and I use crutches to get around and help me move. Most people think that I won't live, because I have this disease and that I should just give up, but I will never give up. I believe that I can beat this disease, and I will.

Right now, my mom and I are on our way to the doctor's office for my 2 month exam and treatment. I always hate going to the doctors because that means that they are going to have to do blood tests, check-ups, IV's, and the dreaded spinal tap to see if the infection is spreading or if I'm getting any worse. I may have to get them done every couple of months, but I still don't like shots, and that spinal tab syringe is huge.

We get to the office and my mom helps me out and hands me my crutches. I hobble in, and see my doctor's waiting. I have three doctors and one nurse that usually helps me when I come in. Ashton usually does the actual check-up, Calum does the blood test and IV, Michael does the spinal tap, and Luke's the nurse who helps comfort me through it all. Over the past few years, they have helped me so much through this disease and have had my back the whole time. I hate them, but mostly I love them. They have become almost like family to me since I've had to see them so often.

"Hey Emma, how's our strong fighter doing today?" Ashton asks as we head on back. "I've been good. Although, I've been really tired lately and I've started to notice that my eyesight is starting to get blurry", I tell them as we walk back into the room. "Okay, we'll do a check-up first and see what's going on there, okay? Then you know the drill. We'll do a blood test, IV, and spinal tap, and then you'll be done and we'll see you in 2 months", he tells me. They help me up onto the bed and Ashton starts the exam. "I'm going to check your breathing and heartbeat first to make sure they are okay", he tells me as he uses his stethoscope and puts it on my chest and back. "Deep breathes for me babe...Good". He then grabs his light and says, "I'm going to check in your eyes first, then we'll see if anything's up with your ears, nose, and throat".

He shines the light on and points it in my eyes. I flinch at the brightness and I can feel Luke's hand rub circles on my back to help comfort me. I don't really know why, but Luke always has a way to put me at ease during this whole thing. He's the one that I feel closest to, and I'd consider him to be my big brother in a way. Don't get me wrong, they are all kind of like my big brothers, being all protective of me and all, even though we have no blood relation to one another. But you know how there's brothers that get on your nerves and you just want to disown them, but know that if you did that, then you'd miss them too much. That's the type of brothers Ashton, Calum, and Michael are. I love them, but they get on my nerves so much. Luke on the other hand is the type of brother that you tease and actually hang out together with because you guys are friends as well as siblings.

Luke continues to comfort me while Ashton continues with the check-up. He finishes checking my eyes, ears, nose, and throat, and now moves down to checking my belly, just to make sure that nothings out of the ordinary. Ashton presses down gently on my belly, and I feel no pain. "Okay love, you're all good. I noticed that your eyes are a little strained, so I'll prescribe you some glasses and get them ready for you, while these other goofballs do the rest of you exam", he tells me and then walks out of the room to get me my new glasses.

"Okay sweetie, I know that you don't like this part of the exam, but you know that we need to do it in order for us to see how you're doing and make sure that the MS isn't spreading or getting worse", Calum tells me as he brings over the supplies for my blood test and my IV. He first grabs the supplies for the IV, while I whimper a little in fear, and Luke brings me into his chest and holds me. Calum takes my arm and starts wiping it down for the syringe to go into. I burrow my head farther into Luke's chest, trying to ignore Calum when I feel the first shot go in. "Shh sweetheart, you're okay. It will be done and over with in less than a minute", Luke coos at me and strokes my hair to comfort me. Soon, Calum sets up the IV and pulls the syringe for the blood test out and all I can see as I back out of Luke's chest, is Calum putting a band aid on my arm and the after effects of the IV put in place. "There. All done. I'm just going to run these down to the lab, while the IV gives you your medicine. I'll be back in half an hour", he tells me as he runs out of the room.

"Well, now there's only two", Mikey jokes with me and I give a small smile. "Okay love, I know this isn't fun, but I need you to lay on your side for me". I lay down and in my mind, I try to not panic. I know exactly what Mikey's going to do, and I know that it's going to hurt. I can already feel the tears forming right behind my eyes, and he's not even done anything yet. Luke sees my panic stricken, terrified face, and comes over to help calm me down again. "Hey sweetie, want me to sing a song for you?" he asks, in which I quickly nod my head yes. He starts singing and soon, all I can think about is his voice and how soothing it is. "Okay love, I'm going to put the anesthetic in to help numb you up", Michael tells me and I close my eyes, and take Luke's open hand and squeeze it in pain as I feel the injection go in. Soon, I can't feel my back, and Mikey tells me, "I'm putting the sharp in. You shouldn't feel too much pain, just pressure now. Just keep breathing and focus on Luke", he informs me and I can feel the huge syringe go into my spinal cord. It doesn't hurt as much as it would without the anesthetic, but it still does hurt. I squeeze Luke's hands as the tears that have been hiding finally spring forth and I start crying. "Shh, almost done sweetie. Just a bit longer", Luke tells me as he wipes my tears with his thumb and continues to hold my hands in his much bigger hand. He continues to sing to me to keep me calm, and pretty soon Michael pulls the sharp out and bandages it. He then comes around and both Luke and him give me a hug. "All done. We have to let your IV finish off, so why don't you just rest for a bit", Mikey tells me while he rubs my shoulder, and I nod my head. They help me get into a comfortable position and I close my eyes and fall asleep.

I wake up a little while later, and hear voices. I open my eyes and I see Ashton back in the room, as well as Calum is back from the lab. They see me awake and walk on over to me. "Hey sweetie, did you sleep well?" Calum asks me, and I nod my head yes. "Well, we have good news for you", he tells me and continues talking, "We found no new spreading in your spinal fluid, and your white blood cells are actually increasing, so it looks like it's going well with the treatment". I smile, still a little sleepy, at them and nod my head. "I also got you your glasses ready", Ashton tells me and hands me a pair of purple framed, square-shaped glasses. "Hopefully this help you see better", he says as I put them on and I can finally see clearly. I smile at him and nod say, "These are perfect. I can finally see everything. Thank you". He nods his head and tells me "You're welcome hun".

Right then, the other two doctors walk in and see me awake. "Hey love, are you in any pain anymore?" Michael asks me and I shake my head no. "Okay, good. Then let's get you up, so that you can go home then", Luke says and gently helps me up as Calum hands me my crutches. I stand up on them a little shakily, but with Luke's help, I'm able to keep my balance and stay up. "Thanks, for everything you guys. I may not like what has to be done, but I will always love you guys", I tell them and Ashton pipes up and says, "We love you too. We don't like hurting you, but we sometimes have to, to make sure that you are as healthy as can be". "Aww, group hug!" Mikey calls out and we all come together for a big group hug. I walk out of the room and back to the waiting room, where my mom has been waiting for the past few hours. "Ready", she says, and I nod my head. I look back one last time, and see Ashton, Calum, Mikey, and Luke all waking bye to me. I smile at them and wave bye back and we head on home.

Hi guys! I just wanted to say that if you know of someone or are fighting MS yourself, that I think you're very brave and to keep fighting :) MS is a hard disease to deal with, because you body basically gives out on you. Anyone who is fighting it, know that we are all behind you and rooting for a cure :)