Imagine for Jennifer (5SOS)

Jennifer's POV:

"Jennifer, wake up! We have to be at the field for practice in 15 minutes!" I hear my brother Calum yell up to me. My brother and his best friend are my soccer training coaches. They are helping me get in shape and work on drills, so that I can make the high school varsity team. I get up, and get dressed in some Adidas shorts and shirt with my Nike running shoes. I go brush my hair and teeth and run downstairs to meet Calum in the kitchen.

When I get down there, I see Luke, my other soccer coach, eating at our table. Luke and Calum are best friends, so it's really not all that uncommon to see him at our kitchen table, especially if we have food. Boy, that guy can eat! "Hey guys! I'm ready when you are! Let's go practice!" I say to them excitedly and they smile. "Okay Jen, but first eat something. Don't need you to pass out or anything from not eating", Calum says. I nod and grab some Honey Nut Cheerios and eat.

When we are done eating, I grab my bag with all my gear and we climb into Calum's car to head off to the field. When we get there, I put my shin guards and socks on, and Calum tells me to do a warm up mile. I run, and then we get into some real practice. We work on dribbling, passing, trick outs, and a whole bunch more. We are doing a scrimmage-like practice, where Luke's in goal, and I have to get around Calum and shoot it past Luke. I try to go around Calum, but I lose my balance and somehow end up tweaking my ankle and falling. "Jenni! Are you okay?" Calum asks in a panic. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's just play", I tell them. They give me a look and tell me to get some water.

I try to walk normally, but it really hurts. I don't want to tell Cal and Luke, because then they'd end up taking me to the doctors, and I really don't want that. I grab some water, try to stretch out my ankle, and run back onto the field, trying to ignore the pain. No pain, no gain.

Once we've practiced for a while, we decide to call it a day and head home. We eat dinner, and I go to sleep, but I keep tossing and turning all night because I'm in so much pain with my ankle. I get up, get some Tylenol and go to sleep.

The next morning, I wake up in excruciating pain. "Owwww!" I yell and both Luke and Calum come running up. They both come running through my door, Calum with a baseball bat, thinking that there's someone coming after me. When they see me, however, they see the look of pain on my face. Calum drops the baseball bat and runs over to comfort me. "Hey chick, what's wrong?" he asks me while he gives me a hug. I curl up in his arms and cry in his chest. I mumble out, "I woke up and my ankle really hurts". He hears this and pulls back the covers to take a look at my ankle. I look down as well, and see that it's really swollen and all black and purple. Luke tries to poke it and I scream in pain. "Sorry! I think we need to take you to the hospital though". I start shaking my head. Even though I'm in a ton of pain, I don't want to go to the hospital. Hospital's meant doctors and I'm terrified of doctors.

 Calum picks me up and carries me into the car, while Luke drives. I'm in the backseat with Calum, crying my eyes out and shaking in fear and pain. "Shhh, babe. The doctors won't hurt you. They just want to help you feel better. Please stop crying". He then tries to make me laugh by him and Luke telling horribly corny jokes. I start to laugh at just how bad the jokes are and soon we're at the hospital. Calum carries me inside and sets me down in a chair, while Luke checks me in at the waiting desk.

A few minutes later, I hear my name being called by two young looking doctors. "Jennifer?" Calum carries me over to them, and they introduce themselves. "Hi Jennifer, My name's Ashton, and this is Michael. Let's go on back and we can see what's wrong". I nod my head and Calum and Luke try to go on back with me, but they're held up by Michael. "I'm really sorry, but no one's allowed back here unless they are doctors or patients. You're going to have to wait here in here until we come and get you". Cal turns to me and gives me a look that says sorry. He then goes back to Luke and sits while Ashton, and Michael help me back to a room.

Ashton has an arm around my waist, to help me limp to the room. As we are walking, I start to get scared again and start to cry. Michael sees this and puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Hey, it's okay. Is your leg hurting you right now?" I nod my head and say, "Yes, but I'm also scared. I don't like doctors". Ashton gently swings me into his arms and says, "You're okay sweetie. We won't hurt you. We just want to see what's causing you all this pain and help you feel better". I curl up in his arms as he takes me to the doctor's room.

Once we get there, he gently lays me down on the bed as Michael pull up a chair. "Okay love, I need to feel your ankle to see what's wrong with it". He gently feels the bones and muscles of my ankle while I cry out in pain. "I'm sorry! I think it would be best if we do a MRI, just to be on the safe side", Michael says and Ashton lifts me in his arms again and we go down to radiology to get my leg checked out.

Along the way, Ashton and Michael asks me what I like to do to distract me from the pain and to keep me calm while they do the tests. "I really like to play soccer. I'm training to be on the school team. That's actually how I hurt my ankle. I was practicing, and I landed wrong..." I continue to talk with them as they set up the MRI and get the pictures.

 Michael leaves the room for a minute, as Ashton continues to comfort me. Michael comes back a little while later with a sad expression on his face. "I'm sorry love, but it looks like you've torn your ligament in your ankle". I start to cry again, and they give me a hug until slowly I settle down enough for us to go back to the room.

They take me back to the room, and put a cast on my leg to make sure that it can heal and it won't get further damages to it. "What about soccer?" I ask them. "It'll take about 6 months for your leg to heal, so you probably won't be able to play on this year's team. However, if you do your physical therapy correctly, then you should be able to play in a summer league" Michael says. I sadly nod my head and tears fall down my face. All my hard work of training and everything will be lost.

 Ashton and Michael see my tears and they both pull me into a hug. "Love, it will be okay. There's so much more to life that one thing. Think of it as a learning experience. You now get to try new things and it could help you become an even better soccer player". I stop crying and nod my head. They then help me get my crutches and go back out to where Calum and Luke are.

I see Calum and he runs over and gives me a huge hug. "I'm so proud of you chick. You conquered your fear of doctors". I smile at that and Ashton and Michael talk with Calum and Luke about what happened and what they will have to do in order for me to heal. Ashton and Michael then hand them some pain medication to help ease my pain later on.

We leave the hospital, and Calum, Luke, and I decide to go out for ice cream to get our spirits up about not playing for a few months, but also to celebrate me conquering my fear of doctors. As we are eating ice cream, I think to myself, well, I've always wanted to try knitting.