Imagine for _youngeliet_ (5SOS)

Ashton's POV:

It's Monday, and I wake up to the sound of my alarm blaring at 6:00 am and groan. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I hate mornings. I work at the local hospital along with my three best friends, Luke, Calum, and Michael. I'm a pediatric surgeon, Luke's an anesthesiologist, Michael is a pediatrician, and Calum is a pediatric nurse. I remember that today's the day that Luke, Calum, Michael, and I are doing a back surgery on a six year old girl. She has congenital scoliosis, which basically means that because of genetics, her spine is curved. We've already tried braces, but it's done nothing to straighten her back, so not we are going to do a surgery to help straighten it.

I get ready for the day, and drive to my work. When I get there, I see Calum looking at some charts. "Hey Cal! Ready to help me with that back surgery today?" I ask him and he looks up at me. "Um yeah. Sorry, I'm just going over the girls chart. It says here that her name is Kingsley, and that she has severe social anxiety. We're going to have to be extra careful to not scare her or else we could have even more problems on our hands", Calum tells me and I nod my head. "Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to get Michael then to come with me to get Kingsley since he's the best at keeping kids calm", I tell him and then walk away.

I go to Michael's office, and he's in there. "Hey Mikey, can you come help with a patient? She's having back surgery today, and has social anxiety, so she might be a bit nervous", I ask him and he of course agrees to help. We then head to the waiting room to get Kingsley.

When we get to the waiting room, I look around and see a young girl sitting on her mom's lap looking terrified. I call out Kingsley's name and the girl looks up, only to try to shrink smaller on her mom's lap and look down at the floor. Mikey and I go over to the young girl and her mom, and I instantly get down on my knee to introduce myself and hopefully not scare her. "Hi Kingsley. My name is Dr. Ashton. This is my friend Dr. Mikey. We are going to help you with your back surgery today. Do you mind coming with us?" I try to ask Kingsley as nicely as I can, but all she does is tear up and start breathing heavier. "Hey sweetie, I have something that I think you might like. How would you like to meet my friend? His name is Beary, and he is beary happy to meet you", Michael says as he pulls up a teddy bear from one of the many toy boxes in the waiting room. Kingsley looks at it in longing, like she wants to hold it, but she's afraid to ask. "Here, why don't you hold him for me? I think he'll be happier in your arms than in mine, right Beary?" Michael asks as he lifts the toy to his ear and pretends to listen to what he has to say. "He says that he wants to be your friend. He won't judge you and he'll protect you from anything scary", Michael says as he hands over the stuffed bear and Kingsley gently cuddles him in her arms. "Do you think if Beary comes with you to protect you, that you could come with Ashton and me?" Michael asks Kingsley and she slowly nods her head.

Kingsley's mom then gets up with Kingsley in her arms and carries her and Beary to one of the rooms. We enter a room, and her mom lays her down on the bed. Kingsley whines to her mom, and looks at us in fear. "It's okay sweetie, we won't hurt you. You have Beary to protect you, and he's not going to let any harm come your way. I just need to check your vitals really quick. I promise, nothing scary", Michael assures her as he puts his stethoscope in his ears and starts listening to Kingsley's heartbeat and lungs. He also checks Beary's heartbeat, and that makes Kingsley smile a little bit. He then makes sure that her temperature is normal, and that her blood pressure checks out.

Once Michael has taken her and Beary's vitals, Luke walks in. "Hey Kingsley, this is my friend Dr. Luke. He has to give you a small pinch in your arm to help us do your surgery", I tell Kingsley, and her face pales and she quickly shakes her head and starts freaking out. "Shh, sweetheart, Luke's not going to hurt you. Why don't you close your eyes and hold on to Beary, and I'll sing a song. When the song is over, you can open your eyes and it will be all done", Mikey says. He's so good with the kids, and knows exactly what to say to get them to calm down.