Imagine for Niallisababe2010 (5SOS)

Claudia's POV:

"Ok Claudia, remember to breathe. You've done this perfect in practice so many times, and now it's time to show your stuff", I tell myself to pump me up and help calm my nerves. Right now I'm about to compete on the beam at the Gymnastics Nationals, and I'm super nervous because whoever wins this goes to the Summer Olympics in Rio. All day my stomach has been hurting because of nerves, and I've already thrown up twice because of it. On top of that, I've been getting so little sleep because I've been worrying about my events, that I'm literally only standing because of the high amounts of adrenaline in my system. Plus, they always have the air conditioners on at these events to help keep the athletes cool, so I'm freezing my butt off in my little gymnastics uniform. I really just wish that my husband Niall could be down here with me and help calm me down, as well as keep me warm in between events, but sadly only coaches and athletes are allowed on the mats.

I look over into the crowd and see my husband and our friends, Liam, Louis, Harry, Calum, Mikey, Luke, and Ashton all sitting on the bleachers. When Niall sees me looking up at him, he smiles and gives me a thumbs up. I really am so grateful and blessed to have such a great husband who takes time off from the doctor's clinic that he and our friends run to come watch and support me and my gymnastics. Niall and I met when I was 18 and he was 20 when he was working at the gym I practice at. He was still training to become a doctor, and needed hands on experience for some of his credits, so he volunteered to be one of the doctors on hand at my gym. I pulled a muscle in my leg one day and he helped me stretch it out and ice it, but I still had to go see him for the rest of the week to make sure that it was okay. That week, we started talking and found that we have a lot in common and things went from there. We got married a year later and have now been married just under a year. In that time, I've continued with my gymnastics career, and Niall has established his own clinic with his best friends.

I take a deep breath and get ready to do my routine. I look up one more time at Niall, hoping that he can give me a bit of the confidence that I need right now, and he mouths, "I love you", to me. I smile and raise my hands up to show that I'm ready to start the routine. I jump on the beam, and start to get lost in my moves, forgetting all about the crowds and my nerves. However, I'm mid flip when my stomach does a huge flip of its own, causing me to be in pain and not able to concentrate enough. I land really weird and I hear a snap in my leg, and pain erupts throughout my leg. I fall off the narrow beam on to the mat from the amount of pain I'm now in, and curl up into a ball hoping that it'd help ease some of the pain.

I can hear voices all around me, but only one voice actually reaches me. "Claudia! Babe, tell me what hurts. The guys and I are here and we're going to make it all better, but you have to tell me what's going on", I hear Niall say in my ear as he gently holds me in his arms. "Ni, my leg and stomach", I tell Niall and instantly Harry is checking my leg, and Calum is checking my stomach. I scream out in pain as they examine me while Niall holds me and tries to calm me down. I hear Harry say, "Ni, it looks like she tore her ACL and dislocated her knee. We need to get her to the clinic now". Then Calum pipes up and states, "Her stomach is also swollen and tender. She might have appendicitis, as well as she has a fever, so she might have the flu too, but I agree, we need to get her to the clinic to run the tests and make sure".

At his friends suggestions Niall quickly and gently picks me up and carries me to the car, while I continue to cry out in pain. Luke drives while Harry and Calum stay in the back with Niall and me to make sure that I'm okay, and the others take another car to meet us at the clinic. When we get to their clinic, Niall lifts me up and carries me in. He lays me gently on a bed and soon there's chaos all around me. Mikey sticks an IV in one of my arms and gives me a pain reliever in it, while Ashton draws some blood in the other arm and goes to run some tests. Calum and Luke bring in an ultra sound machine and starts checking my stomach to see what's wrong, while Liam and Harry are trying to see what all I tore in my leg and put my dislocated leg back in place. I feel immense pain in my leg as Liam and Harry quickly put my leg back in place and then a little bit of relief as it gets put in the correct place.

All the while, Louis and Niall are telling me what they are doing and trying to keep me calm so that my blood pressure doesn't get too high. "Niall, we need to get her in surgery now. Her appendix is swollen and even though it doesn't look too bad yet, she definitely needs it removed and the sooner the better", Luke tells Niall and Niall nods his head in agreement. "She will also need surgery on her leg. She tore her ACL as well as quite a few ligaments and we are going to have to attach them back together", Liam says.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting in the background and hearing everything that they are saying and getting scared out of my mind. I don't want surgery! That would mean that I'd be out for months, maybe even ending my career as a gymnast, and this is my last chance to make it to the Olympics, which has always been a dream of mine. I can't let this happen to me. "No! I'm not getting surgery! I refuse to go out like this, and the Olympics have always been my dream. I can't just give it up like that!" I yell and start crying again, as well as try to get off the bed. However, as soon as I move my leg, pain flares up and I whimper in pain. "Babe, I know that the Olympics have been your dream, and I want nothing more than to make it happen. However, if you don't have these surgeries now, then you will be in a lot of pain, your leg could get worse to the point that you'll have to permanently be in a wheel chair, and your appendix could burst which would make you really sick and you could possibly die. I love you and I don't want to lose you, and I wouldn't be saying this if there was any other way, but you need these surgeries. I know that you don't like it, but we are only doing this to help make you better", Niall tells me as he pulls me into his arms, and kisses from my cheek down to my collarbone.

Niall continues to help me calm down, and I see that he really only wants the best for me. He really loves me as I love him and so I nod my head and let them know that it's okay to do the surgery. Mikey and Liam leave to prep the OR while Louis gets me prepped for surgery and the others get themselves prepped. Niall stays by my side throughout it all, holding my hand and rubbing my back or shoulder, and I'm so thankful that he's there for me. A few minutes later, Harry comes back and brings me down for surgery. They lay me down on a table, and I can see Luke inject something into my IV. "Just count down from 10 love", he tells me, and before I can even get to 5, I'm asleep.

After the surgery:

I wake up and the first thing that I notice is that I'm in a nice comfy bed with my leg lifted in the air, and someone's hand in mine. I look over and I see Niall asleep in a chair next to me and him holding my hand in his. I smile at how much I love him, but get interrupted from watching him sleep when Ashton comes in. "Hey CJ, how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?" he asks me and I say, "I'm fine, no pain, just tired". He nods his head and tells me, "Well on top of your hurt leg and appendicitis, I also found a strand of the flu virus in you when I did that blood test on you and looked at your blood. That's probably why you feel so tired right now, as your body is fighting off the flu. I'm going to give you something to fight it off, and then you can go back to sleep, but we are going to keep a close eye on you to make sure that you don't get any worse". Ashton then inserts something into my IV, and pats my head and leaves. It only takes a few seconds before I slowly fall back to sleep.

After a few weeks in the hospital with the guys taking care of me and bringing me lots of soup and making sure that I'm taking my medicine and everything, I slowly get better. I'm doing physical therapy with one of the boys daily, and there's always someone that comes in and checks on my stitches to make sure that they're healing nicely and that there's no infection. Niall hasn't left my side, and has been my rock throughout it all, which I've been eternally grateful for. I know I missed my chance at going to the Olympics, but I've had a lot of time to think about it all, and I've decided that I want to coach the kids and make sure that they see their dreams come true. I may have missed my dream, but now I have a new one and that is to make my students the best that they can be try to get them to their goal.