Imagine for styles1997 (1D)

Nicole's POV

"Hey Nic, come on. We are meeting Louis in 5 minutes, and it takes at least 10 to get to his clinic", my older brother Liam yells up to my room. I'm trying to take my time and drag getting ready as much as possible, even though I know that it will only make it worse for me in the long run, because I don't want to go to the doctors. Yes, you heard me right. My brother's best friend Louis is a doctor, and for some reason that's unexplainable to me, they have decided that I need a check-up. However, ever since I was a little girl, I've been terrified of the doctors because when I was younger, I had a doctor that was really mean. He'd always say one thing and do another, and it would always end up hurting me. Ever since then, I've tried to avoid doctors at all costs. But when Louis became a doctor, my brother had the "brilliant idea" that he should be my doctor from now on, and because he's almost always here, I can't get out of it no matter what.

After trying to stall for a few more minutes, I hear a knock on my door and Liam comes in. "Come on hun, you look fine. Let's go", he says as he grabs my hand and basically drags me out of the house. Once we get to Louis' clinic, Liam gets out of the car, while I refuse. "Nicki, why won't you go? You've known Louis since you were 8 years old. You know that he would never hurt you", Liam says as he gets me out of the car and holds my hand as we walk in the office. "Hey Li, Hey Nicole. I thought that you forgot about me" Louis jokingly greets us with a smile on his face us as we walk through the door. Even though I've known Louis pretty much half my life, I can already feel my heartbeat starting to increase, and my breathing becoming labored from fear. Louis and Liam blindly guide me to the back, where Louis starts to put the blood pressure cuff on me, but I yank my arm away and all of a sudden, something inside of me feels like it snaps, and I'm in tears and hyperventilating.

Liam immediately brings me close to him, holding me and trying to comfort me, while I can see Louis getting a mask ready with oxygen. "Shh Nicki, hun, you need to relax. Everything is going to be okay. I'm right here, and I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. You're safe. Louis would never hurt you, and you're safe in my arms", Liam says in my ear as he tries to calm me down. Louis tries to put an oxygen mask on me, but I shake my head and refuse to let him touch me, just wanting the comfort of my brother right now. "Nicole, I promise this won't hurt. I'll just help you breathe easier. It's just oxygen and right now, you're not getting enough oxygen to your brain because you're hyperventilating, which means that you could pass out. This is going to help you not pass out, and make you feel a bit better", Louis explains to me, and I hesitantly let him put the mask over my head, but refuse to let go of Liam, to let Louis continue the exam.

After a few minutes of just cuddling with Liam and letting him hold and comfort me, I finally am able to calm down. "Nicole, can I start the exam again?" Louis asks sweetly and I nod my head, "Yeah, just please don't make Liam leave", I say as I look up and give Louis this pleading look and tighten my grip on Liam. "Of course not sweetheart. I would never make you do that. If you want your brother here with you, he can stay with you for as long as you want", Louis says, and I can feel Liam nodding his head in agreement. Louis then continues with the exam. He first starts with my blood pressure, "Okay Nicole, this is just going to squeeze your arm a bit, but I promise, it will be over quick. Just hold Liam's hand for me and it'll be done before you know it". Liam then hands me his hand, and I grab it like it's a lifeline. Louis takes my blood pressure, while I squeeze Liam's hand out of fear. He then moves on with the exam. "I'm going to listen to your heart and lungs now. It may be a bit cold, but other than that, it shouldn't be too uncomfortable", he tells me as he puts the bell on my back and listens to my breathing. "Sounds good", he tells me after a few minutes of listening.

Louis continues on with the exam, explaining each and everything that he has to do before he does it to make sure that I'm okay and not scared. Liam continues to hold my hand, rubbing soothing circles on it, and showing me that he's there for me, while I lean my head on his shoulder. Pretty soon, Louis' is done with the exam and is just washing his hands and cleaning up when I say, "Louis, I'm really sorry that I was so childish. It's just that I've never really liked the doctors and even though I know that you won't ever hurt me, I'm still scared. My old doctor wasn't very good, and I still have trouble thinking that when I go to the doctor's, I won't get hurt", I tell him, looking down ashamed of my behavior. "Nicole, sweetheart, you don't have to apologize. I know that it's scary, especially if you don't know what's happening to you. I promise though, from now on, I'll explain what I do before I do it, and I will go slowly. I will never hurt you, I promise", Louis tells me as he pulls me in for a hug, and soon Liam joins too. We break apart, and I curl up in Liam's lap, too exhausted to do much else. He starts rubbing my back soothingly, and with everything that's happened today, I easily get lulled into an almost sleep. "Thank you Lou", I sleepily tell him, as I feel Liam gently lift me up into his arms, getting ready to leave. "No problem sweetie. If you ever feel sick or hurt, know that you can always tell me. I promise not to hurt you and I'll be there for you. Just rest for the rest of the day, and let Liam take care of you", he tells me. I hear Liam give his thanks to his best friend, and then we leave. Liam carries me to the car, and we drive back home. For the rest of the day, we cuddle and watch movies together, glad that we are with one another.