Imagine for _youngeliet_ (5SOS)

Calum's POV:

The other guys and I are walking home after working a 24 hour shift at the hospital. It was grueling, and we are all exhausted, but we saved a man's life today, so it's all worth it. Michael, Ashton, Luke, and I have all known each other since we were 16. We went through med school together, and we bought a house for all of us to live in since we were so close and all got jobs at the same hospital. "What should we do for dinner tonight?" Luke asks, and Michael automatically yells out, "Pizza!" We laugh at his response, but agree to it.

However, when we are walking by an alley way, I hear a small whimper and what sounds like crying. I look down the alley and I see a young woman that looks to be in pain, with a little girl that looks to be about 4 or 5 years old that's crying next to her. "Guys!" I yell out as I run down the alley, already going into doctor mode, while the other guys follow me. I kneel next to the woman and say, "Hi love, I'm a doctor. I heard you whimper in pain, could you tell me what hurts so my friends and I can help you?", but the woman just shakes her head. "You're a doctor?" I hear the little girl ask, and now my attention is on her. "Yes I am, and my friends are too. Are you hurt anywhere?" I ask, now getting worried that she might be hurt too. "I'm not hurt, but my mommy is. Can you please help her?" she asks me in a small voice and I literally melt at just how innocent she sounds. "Yeah, we will help your mommy. What's your mommy and your names?" I ask as I pull the little girl into my arms and hold her gently, trying to help calm her down while Luke, Ashton, and Michael start taking vitals of the young woman. "My name is Emmi. I think my mommy's name is Amelia, but I can't remember for sure because to me she's always mommy. She's been holding her tummy a lot and in pain, but I don't know what's wrong with her. Please don't let my mommy die. She's all I have and I love her", Emmi tells me and starts crying in my arms. "Shh, Emmi, we are going to help your mommy. Don't you worry, she's in good hands. We will probably have to go to the hospital though to see what's wrong with her", I tell her as I can hear an ambulance siren coming down the street. Emmi nods her head, and curls closer to me in my arms, while the guys get Amelia loaded into the ambulance.

We all pile in, Emmi in my lap, and for the first time I actually look at Amelia. She is gorgeous. She has brown hair and flawless skin with big red lips and a small nose. She's pretty tiny looking, and now that I think about it, both her and Emmi look underweight, which worries me a bit. I start thinking about the fact that Emmi and Amelia were found in an alley way, their clothes were dirty, and I wonder if they are homeless. "Emmi, how long have you and your mommy been living in that alley way?" I ask the little one on my lap. Emmi looks up at me and says, "I don't know, but my daddy hit my mommy and kicked us out near Valentine's Day I think. He and mommy fought on that day, and I remember wondering why he hit her and why they didn't like each other on the day that people give each other hearts". I nod my head and start thinking. Valentine's Day was more than a month ago. That means that Emmi and Amelia have been living on the streets for about a month. I also feel a protectiveness towards these girls, so to hear Emmi say that her dad could have been abusive towards Amelia and Emmi, as well as kicked them out makes me really mad. If I ever find this guy, he's going to wish I hadn't.

We get to the hospital, and we all go to a room so that we can figure out what might be causing Amelia this pain. I think it might be appendicitis, but without doing a few tests, we can't be for sure. "Emmi, I have to see what's causing your mommy to hurt. I'm going to take really good care of your mommy, but I need you to go with my friend Mikey okay. I promise, he's really nice, and he'll probably go get you some candy and play tea party if you ask him nicely", I tell her and she nods her head, then goes with Michael to the vending machines. I then grab some gloves, and join Ashton and Luke in diagnosing Amelia. They had already put an IV in her arm and started her on some pain meds for the time being, and were just starting to explain what we think might be happening. "Amelia, I know you're in a lot of pain right now, but we are going to help you. I think you might have appendicitis, which would explain why you're in so much pain, but we have to do a few tests to be sure", Ashton tells her.