The funeral (68)

Izzys pov

"Come on Ben" I say to my five year old grandchild. "Ok mamaw" he smiles.

Im watching Ben today. He wanted to spent time with me.

I grab his hand and lead him to the bathroom.

I undress him and set him in the bathtub.

"Hey Izzy, it's for you" Hayes says. "Can it wait until I finish Bens bath?" I ask him. "I think it's important" he says.

I nod and stand up.

Hayes Pov

When I finish giving Ben a bath, I get him dressed and walk into Izzy's and my room.

"W-What?" She asks. "Yeah. I'll come over with Hayes tomorrow. I'll have Ash watch the kiddos" Izzy sighs. "Alright. Bye" She says.

"Is everything ok?" I ask. "No" she shakes her head. "What happened?" I ask her. "My mom died" she says, her voice cracking.

I sit next to her on the bed and wrap my arms around her. "I'm sorry." I say on the verge of tears. Her mom was a very likable person.

I swallow the lump in my throat and blink the tears away. I need to be strong for Izzy.

"We need to tell the kids." She sighs. I nod.

"Kids" I call once Izzy and I are sitting on the couch.

They come down and sit. I've already called Ash. "Mom, dad, what's wrong?" Eliza asks.

"Um kids. This is going to be very tough to tell you" izzy starts. "Y-your grandma died" Izzy says, her voice cracking at the end.

"This isn't funny mom. Stop joking around." Noah says. "I wish it was a joke" she says and wipes the tears from her eyes.

"Ash is gonna watch you tomorrow. Your mother and I are going over to your grandpas house to plan the funeral." I say.

The kids sigh and walk to their room.

Eliza's Pov

"I think you need to spend time with your family today. I'm gonna take Elly to my moms house so she can see her. Is that ok?" Zach asks me.

I slowly nod. "Thanks Zach. I love you" I say. He kisses me before saying "you're welcome baby. I love you too."
-
After zach leaves, I go to Ollie's room. I knock on his door three times.

He appears. I see his girlfriend sitting on the bed, glaring at me.

"What do you need?" Ollie asks. "Nevermind. I'll go talk to Noah" I sigh. "You can talk to me." He says sincerely. "Your girlfriend is over right now. I don't want to be a bother" I say and turn around. I hear him sigh.

I walk down the hall to Noah's room.

I knock on his door and soon he opens the door.

"Hey Eliza. I wasn't expecting you." He says scratching the back of his neck. "Who were you expecting?" I ask. "Anyone but you. I thought you hated me." Noah says looking down.

My heart breaks at the sound of that. "Noah" I say almost in a whisper. "I don't hate you. I would never hate you." I tell him.

He looks at me. "Really? I put you through a lot. I was dumb. You were never any of those things" he says looking into my eyes. I nod. "I understand. I forgave you a long time ago. I even prayed to God asking him to forgive you." I tell him. He nods.

I can't hold it in anymore. I break down. Noah catches me before I hit the ground.

"What's wrong?" He asks me. "I miss grandma" I cry. His eyes water before he blinks the tears away. "Noah, it's ok to be sad. Cry like there's no tomorrow" I cry.

He soon breaks and we cry together.

There is a knock at Noah's door. "Noah, I can't find El-Oh never mind." Shane says. Her eyes are bloodshot.

"Come here Shane" I say opening my arms. She walks to me and starts full out sobbing.

"I miss grandma." Shane says. "I do too Shane." Noah and I say in sync. The three of us cry ourselves to sleep.

Hayes Pov

I walk into my bedroom and find Izzy against the wall with her knees to her chest, crying.

I sigh and slide against the wall. I wrap my arms around her and pull her onto my lap.

I finally break and cry. I cry with my broken wife over the loss of her mother.
-
At the funeral

"We will now have the oldest daughter of Ann Eleanor Mason speak." The pastor says.

I stand up, wipe my tears, and make my way to the microphone.

"My mother was an amazing mother, wife, daughter, and friend. Her mother wanted her to marry a rich man. Who did she marry? My father. My father wasn't poor. He was middle class. He had enough money to live on. My mom fell in love with my dad. She married him instead of a rich guy.

My mom will forever be missed by not only me and my family, but by the community.

She loved to help people and animals. She donated money every year.

I will miss my mom so much, but I know she will forever be with me." I say. My voice breaking at the end. I exchange places with Hayes as it's his turn to speak.

"Ann may have been my mother-in-law,  but she felt like she was my biological mother. I will miss her forever." Hayes says.
-
When we get home from the burial, none of us can stop crying.

I love and miss my mom. This is gonna be so hard.