Ch 92

The bell rings dismissing my eighth period. "Garret, can you come here please?" I ask. "Yes ma'am" He says.

"Is everything ok?" I ask him, genuinely concerned. "Yes ma'am, why do you ask?" He asks. "I've seen you with bruises, you fall asleep easily, and you are failing my class." I say. He sighs. "My dad beats me sometimes. He only feeds me a few times a week, and I never sleep at home because I can't when I'm at home." He says. I tear up. "Garret" I say almost in a whisper. "Ask your dad if you can come to my house to study and so I can help you get your grade up" I say. He nods and takes out his phone.

"He said that I could" He says. I nod. I stand up and grab my things. "You ready?" I ask. He nods. This is awful. He's a really sweet kid. What could he do to deserve this?

I unlock my car and throw my things into the back.

-

When we get to my house, I turn off my car. "You ready?" I ask. He nods.

We get out of the car. He follows me to my front door. I unlock it and open it.

"MOMMY!" My three year old twins yell. They both hug one of my legs. "Hey Ryder and Sage. Were you good for daddy?" I ask. "Yes!" Ryder smiles. I smile.

"Hey mom" Finley says. "Hi Fin." I say and hug him. "Mommy!" Elly yells. "Hi baby girl. How was school?" I ask. "Great!" She smiles. I smile and hug her.

"Hey baby girl" Zach says and kisses me. "Who's this?" He asks. "This is one of my students, Garret. Garret, this is my son Finley, my twins Ryder and Sage, my daughter Elizabeth, and my husband Zach." I introduce them. "It's nice to meet you sir. It's nice to meet you guys to" Garret says and shakes Zach's hand and flashes my children a smile. "Zach, can I speak to you in the kitchen?" I ask. He nods.

"Finely, will you stay with Garret? Make him feel at home please" I say. "Of course" Fin replies. I smile and walk into the kitchen.

"We need to do something about Garret's living condition." I say. He furrows his eyebrows. "His father is beating, starving, and sleep depriving him. Zach, it hurts me to see him like this. He was one of my best students. He's failing now. I don't see how someone could do that to such a sweet boy." I say as I wipe my tears. Zach hugs me. "Should we call the police?" He asks. I shake my head. "Not yet." I say. He nods.

I walk into the living room. "Garret, can you come in here please?" I ask. He nods and walks into the kitchen.

"You have a really nice house Mrs. Collins" He says. I thank him. He sits down at the table. "Do you have any other family besides your father?" I ask. He nods. "Yeah, my mom.. I can't see her or my grandparents because they're bad." He says. "How so?" I ask. "I don't know, my dad said that they are." He says. I nod. "Do you know her number?" I ask. He nods.

"Can I call her?" I ask. He nods and gives me her number.

I get up and walk outside.

"Hello?" "Hi, is this Carol?" I ask. "Yes, who is this?" She asks. "My name is Eliza Collins. I am your son's teacher. I've been worried about him lately. He said that he hasn't seen you in ten years?" I say. "Oh my gosh. Yes. Can I see him?" She asks. "Of course. What city are you in?" I ask. "Chino Hills" She says. "Me too. What's your address?" She asks.

-

There is a knock on the door. I stand up and open it. "Eliza?" She asks. "Hi Carol." I smile. She's so pretty. "Where is he?" She asks. "In here" I say. I open the door wider so that she can come in.

"Garret" She says. "Mom" He smiles and stands up. They embrace into a hug. "I've missed you so much" Carol cries. "I've missed you too" Garret says.

-

My phone rings. "Excuse me" I say. They nod. "So I have the news" The doctor says. "Ok, so..." I say. "You are just fine. But there is one thing" She says. "Ok" I say. "You're pregnant" She says. "Nu-uh" I say. "Yeah" She says. I smile. "I gotta go. Bye, thanks" I say and hang up.

I walk back into the living room with the biggest smile on my face. "What's with the smile?" Zach asks. "Zach" I say. "Eliza" He says, confused. "So you know how we have four children?" I ask. "Yeah" He says, still confused. "We aren't gonna have five children anymore" I say. "Wait what?" He asks, starting to panic. "Zach, calm down. We aren't getting rid of one of them." I say. He sighs in relief. "Then.. why.. how.. I'm confused" He says.

"Zach, I'm pregnant" I say. His face lights up. He stands up and runs to me. He picks me up and spins me around.

"Mommy, what does pregnant mean?" Elly asks. "That means that you are gonna have another little brother or sister" I smile. She smiles. "YAY! I hope it's a girl" She smiles. I smile at her.

"Congrats" Carol and Garret say. I thank him.

"Only 9 more months until I get to hold my baby. Or thats what I thought.