Covering Up

Draco and I landed on a semi-busy street in Diagon Alley. Everyone who passed was dressed as we were, with thick cloaks and sweaters. Women passed by wearing a warm looking hat, making me want tone as well. My breath drifted from my mouth in vapory wisps, as if a Dementor were sucking at my soul. The air was so cold that I was shivering, and the fresh snow peppering my dark hair didn't help.

"D-Draco..." I shivered. "I think it's too cold for ice-cream..."

"I think you're right." His cheeks and nose were turning cherry red from the cold. "We don't have to go get ice-cream. I just said that because it was the first thing I thought of."

"But Lucius said-"

"It doesn't matter. I really don't want ice-cream. Do you?"

"No..."

"Then we're not getting any. I want some apple cider. "

"I want a hat." I put my hand on top of my head, which was quickly getting soaked.

"Okay, we can stop and get a hat, then go to The Leaky Cauldron."

"Okay." I agreed, and this time I grabbed his hand, for warmth. "Where can we get a hat?"

"I don't know. IT's your hat." We started walking. "Just pick a shop. Most places have hats."

"Okay..." I trailed off, feeling stupid. I had never really bought a hat. Uncle Severus had gotten me the two I had had. I wasn't with him when he had, so I had never thought about it before. "What about this one?" I stopped at a store window.

"I've never been in here." Draco announced. Of course he hadn't. This was where Uncle Severus had taken me to shop. Draco, no doubt, shopped at up class department stores like the one Scabior had taken me to.

"It's okay, I guess." I shrugged and went through the door. It was almost void of customer's, probably because anyone who would shop here would not be extravagantly wealthy, and anyone who was even Middle Class would be at home with their families on the day after Christmas, instead of out shopping for possessions.

I glanced around, and sat what I was looking for. Sitting in the front of the shop, near the register, was a display of knitted wooden caps and scarves. I quickly made my way to them, dragging Draco with me. I browsed through them, until I finally decided on a black one with a small purple stripe on it. I took it up to the register.

"How are you this evening?" The cashier asked as she began ringing up the cap. I avoided her eyes.

"Good." I replied in a soft voice. She told me the price and I gave it to her from the allowance Lucius had given me before we left. She asked if I wanted a bag. I told her no, took the cap from her. Draco quickly thanked her, and we left. I put the cap on my head. This time, Draco took my hand.

He started leading me down the cobblestone street. He stopped at The Leaky Cauldron, and pulled me inside.

The building was warm and cozy. A fire was crackling in the fireplace. Witches and Wizards were happily drinking and eating in various places. The air smelled of cinnamon and musty beer. Draco brought me forward to the bar. The bar tender looked up.

"What would you like?" He asked. Draco cleared his throat.

"Two apple ciders, please." He ordered for me. "And two cinnamon buns."

"Alight." The bar tender nodded. Draco and I sat down at a table, after dropping our cloaks over the back of the chairs. I kept my hat on. We sat in silence until the bartender came with the drinks and pastries. Draco thanked him and took a drink. I did the same.