Considering Names

Things got a little better. Draco and I didn't get into very many fights after that, or atleast when we did it only conisted of yelling and crying. No hitting was involved, or punching. I would just leave the room and find Lucius and Narcissa, where I would stay until Draco came to make up. Then everything would be okay for a few days, until the next fight would happen.

I would go to work with Lucius and Draco once in a while. When I was there, I would sit behind the counter and knit baby booties and hats, once in a while dreamily putting them down and thinking about what my precious little baby will look like in my crafting. Those days were nice because that means Draco and I hadn't fought in a while. That was always a good thing.

As time went on, I continued to grow bigger. Although I was only four monthes, I actually looked about five. Healer Kasigawasaid it was probably because my frame was so small, compared to how big the baby was growing. Along with the belly, my ankles began to swell. I tried to keep my shoes off as much as I could, because my feet hurt when I had them on. I began to get morning sickness, which Draco hated. It turns out the reason he stayed with Narcissa when ever I had thrown up in Diagon Alley was because vomit made him squimish. So the morning I felt sick, he would try to keep as close to me as he felt comfortable. I began to eat a little more than usual, and better, but only because I knew I had to for the baby. I had to eat right so it would be healthy.

The two of us continued to look at names for the baby, writing each consideration down in the journal Lucius had given me.

"How do you feel about the name Rose?" Draco asked as I stuck my knitting needles into a stitch. The Apothicary was closed for lunch and Draco and I were in his office, waiting for him to get back. 

"Eh, not really... Or at all really." I shook my head. "Do you like Archippos?"

"It's okay, but all you consider are boy's names. What if we have a girl?"

"I see your point. I guess I just really want a little boy." I put the knitting down and put my hand on my stomach. 

"But it will still be nice if we have a girl. I heard they're easier to raise."

"But they're so much work. You know your Mum will make a big fuss over her hair and clothes. Boys are easy."

"True." He sighed, and put an arm around me. "What do we already have written down?"

"Well," I flipped the book open and read, "Samuel, Aspasia, Cosmas, Elpis, Euphrasia, Kallistrate, Linus, Nareus, Olympius... You know." I looked up at him. "Why does your family have this weird thing about naming their children something greek? Why can't we just have, like, a Geroge?"

"I don't know. It's tradition. And it's also tradition that their middle name is their father's, if they're a boy." 

"But what if I don't want that?"

"But it's tradition, Elle. You can't just break it."

"What if we do it for something meaningful."

"What do you mean?"

"Well..." I took a deep breath. "I've been thinking and... I really want to name it after Uncle Severus..."

"You wan't to name our child Severus?"

"Yes. Is there a problem with that?"

"Well, no. But what if it's a girl? We can't name a girl Severus."

"We can name her Scabior."

"That's a boy name."

"That's a last name. It could be either. We can name it Severus Scabior if it''s a boy, and Scabior Severus if it's a girl."

"I just don't know, Elle..."

My heart dropped. Why didn't he want to name it the two most heroic men we had known, not to mention the most caring and the most important? It meant a lot to me. They needed to be honoured, and this was one of the biggest honours I could think of. 

"I'm sorry. Please don't cry." Draco snapped me from my thoughts by wiping a tear off of my cheek. I had been so deep in thought that I hadn't ntoiced that I had started crying. "We can consider it, okay? We just need to talk about it some more, okay? And ask Mum and Dad about it?"

"This isn't Mum and Dad's child. This is our child. We don't need their permission to name it."

"I just don't know."

"I'm carrying it for nine months! It's my ankles name that are swelling, and my horomones going crazy, and my body that's starting to crave werid food!" I stood up. He took my hand and pulled me back down.

"Shh...It's okay. Don't get worked up. We will definally consider it, okay? Look." He reached over to the desk and grabbed a quill. "Here. It's in there. Right there." I watched at he wrote 'Severus Scabior' under the last name we had written. I wiped under my eye.

"Well, if you don't think this name, what do you like?"

"Well, I like the name Scorpius. What do you think about Scoprius Draco?"

"I like it, but... But not like I like Severus Scabior. It's not special. It doesn't have meaning."

"It will be speical if that's what we name it." He put an arm around me. 

The door slung open, making us jump. 

"Draco, we are reopening. I need you out here. There's already a line backed up. " Lucius stuck his head in. "Is everything okay, Eleanor?"

"Yeah, everything is fine." I answered, then looked at Draco. He took his hand out from around me and stood up. 

"Great." Lucius smiled. "Come on, Draco." He said again, then closed the door. 

"We'll talk about this later." Draco leaned over and kissed me. "Why don't you take a nap? You seem tried.

"I'm always tried since I hit three months." I sighed. and stretched out across the spot he was sitting in.

"If you need one of us, come get us." He instructed, then left the room.

I sat for a few minutes, looking at the Name Journal. Finally, I shifted, grabbing it and opening it back to up the last page we had used. Then, I picked up the quill and circled the last entry three or four times.

When I finished I put the quill back and closed the journal befor laying back down. I closed my eyes and put my hand on my stomach. A pain waved through it, the same sharp pain I had been having. It had been coming more frequently and in more pain, but always went awayaftera  few moments..

I shifted again, getting comfortable, then put both hands on my stomach. 

Little Severus Scabior. 

That was going to be his name if Draco wanted it to be or not. When ever he carries a baby for nine months, he can name it what ever he wanted. But at the moment, Severus Scabior was inside of me, thriving on me and breathing my air, so I got to name it. That's the rules; that's how it worked. 

My eye lids began to get heavy with the thought of my sweet baby dancing through my head, until l finally fell asleep.