Admitting Mistakes

A month or so went by, and I continued to do exactly what Healer Phillips instructed. I slept with Draco every night, and during the day pushed the boundries farther and farther. First by holding hands, then kissing, then snogging. Every week or so I got more and more adventurious. And I was starting to feel better. Of course there were days I felt bad, but for the most part, I was feeling happy again. 

This particular morning I could tell it was an off day. Something wasn't right. A heavey sense of dread fell over me immediatly. I rolled over, and Draco wasn't beside me. That was odd. Usually, he waits for me to wake up. 

I got up and put my house robe on over my clothes. Usually I shower before I go down stairs, but this morning I just downed my Combination and went down the stairs. The halls were eerily quiet. 

I went down stairs to the dinning room to find everyone. Draco, Narcissa, and Lucius were all at the table, quietly eating. All three of them looked up at me. Virgo and Orion were even there, laying at Lucius's feet. Orion looked up at me, whimpered, and came over to me. I bent over and scratched behind his ear, trying to figure out what was going on.

I walked over to my usual place at the table and sat down. In the middle of the table was a discarded Daily Profit. I reached over to pick it up. Narcissa started to take it from me, but Lucius stopped her. I read the front page.

2 MAY, 2000

REMEMBERING THE SECOND ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS AND THE END OF THE WIZARDING WAR

I lowered the paper, looking at my caretakers, then my husband. That's why today felt so weird. So solonm. How could I have forgotten?

I slowly looked back down at the paper. Under the heading was the generic discription of the Finale Battle. How so many honourable men and woman, boys and girls, lost their lives during that battle. How Harry returned and killed the Dark Lord. How Narcissa had lied to You-Know-Who to protect Draco. How my Uncle was a double angent. How he had been secretly been again The Dark Lord the whole time. 

But that wasn't the whole story, and I knew it. Not only did they die, but so did Scabior. My Snatchers. Vincent. So many people who will not be honoured today because they were on the wrong side. Not becaue they weren't good people, and not becaue they were cowards, but because they weren't on the right side. 

With tears in my eyes, I turned the page. At the top, in big letters, it said

LIST OF THE FALLEN

Underneath that was a list of every death that had happened during the Second War. Or, atlest, they ones they felt were important. I scanned through the list. The first name that jumped out at me was

CRABBE E., VINCENT

I closed my eyes. His name was there, but his brother's wasn't. Poor Wyatt. He wasn't on the right side. I guess they put Vincent in there because he was still a student... 

I continued to read.

SNAPE T., SEVERUS

TONKS S., NYMPHADORA

LUPIN W., REMUS

WEASLEY I., FRED

DUMBLEDORE P.W.F., ALBUS

All names I knew, all people I knew, even if I liked them or not. There was even,

DIGGORY S., CEDRIC

My chest physically hurt. So many names. So many people dead. So many-

My heart stopped as I glanced over at the next page.