Niall and patient

Niall's POV

I'm a pediatric dentist at the bright smiles dentist office. I've been working here for about 4 years and I've seen many happy and fearless patients to patients who are down right scared. 

"Elizabeth Karev" I call once I go out the waiting room.

"Yea" A little voice said. I turn around and see this 14 year old with her mother. The familiar look was on her face, the look patients have when they are scared but they try to cover it up because they think they are too old to have this fear. Poor girl. She doesn't have any past dental history in her file which worries me and makes me think if she hasn't been to the dentist at all in all these years.

I walk up to her and greet her.

"Hi Elizabeth. I'm your dentist and I'll be performing the dentist exam on you today" I tell her.

"Hi" She says and then turns back to her mother to whisper

"Can you please wait here?" She begs.

"Fine okay" Her mom says annoyed.

"If you would just follow me" I lead her to the examination room and she sits down in the big dentist chair

"Okay, I'm just going to lay you back and I'm going to put this bib on you" I lay the chair back and shes parallel to the ground. Then I grab the bib from the counter and put around her neck. She squirms a little in the chair. 

"Um, can I talk to you before you start?" She asks very nervous but confidently.

"Yea of course" I want my patients to tell me 100% truth.

"This is really embarrassing for me and its just really hard to say. Basically, my mom and I didn't have insurance until I was 11 and then I was too scared to go to the dentist so I never told her. And now, I know I have many cavities and some may even need root canal and fillings because I never learned how to floss or brush properly. This is my first time and I know its disgusting" She says getting worked up.

whoa! What kind of parent does she have?! God?!

"Hey, its alright. I'm gonna go easy on you and it will all be fine. It's not really your fault and I'll show you how to floss" I comfort her. She looks at me and nods and wipes her tears away.

"So I have my mirror and explorer. This won't hurt at all. I'll just scrape off the plaque and check your teeth. Open wide" I say. She opens wide and closes her eyes probably too scared to see what was gonna happen. I start looking at her teeth. I can see some small teeth. Her teeth look healthy tho but she has a gum disease . Poor girl will go through some pain in the next few procedures.

"Okay we are going to do some x rays which are painless" I tell her and bring the chip

"Open" I put it in her right side

"Bite down" She obeys and I give her a thumbs up. After I do the same with the other side and look at her x-rays, she has around 11 cavities. 9 of them are fillings and the other 2 will be extractions.

"Okay Elizabeth, I'm just going to clean your teeth and then we'll talk after that"

"I know how that goes, I've seen videos on Youtube to comfort me" Poor girl. I feel so bad for her and even her mom because they didn't have insurance for so long. These problems could have been detected earlier too. I take my scraper and start to scrape her teeth.

"Ugh" She grunts when I hit her decayed tooth. 

"Sorry, I'll try to be fast" I tell her. That's the least I can comfort her. 

"I'm just going to brush your teeth now. Is mint toothpaste alright?" I ask her

"Yea" I get the toothbrush and put some tooth paste on it and start brushing her teeth. I got a lot of plaque off.

"Flossing time" I inform her and grab some floss. I then start to gently floss her teeth and her gums bleed a little but I water and suction it off. She has gingivitis which is a gum disease because her gums are a dark shade of purple and a really thick  build up of plaque behind her bottom  2 teeth. 

"You're doing great. I'm almost done" I finish flossing and tell her to spit then raise her chair.

"So are you gonna tell me the extent damage to my teeth?" She says kinda tired

"Let me bring in your mom"

I go out to the waiting room and bring her in the room

"So your daughter has 11 cavities. 9 of them need fillings and the other 2 will be extractions and I need to put on invisalign because she has a slight over bite"

Her mother looks so shocked. I can't tell whether its anger or surprised.

AN: Hey guys. Tell me if you liked it because if you did then I will continue it in the next few parts. My school starts Monday so I'll try and update  every weekend. No promises though. Thank you guys!!