An Extraordinary [Girl] Can Never Have an Ordinary Day

"What's in the box?" Liam asked as he pointed at it.

            The mail had just came and this box was a part of it. A small, square cardboard box with the words "fragile" and "keep refrigerated" printed on it.

            "Pass us that knife." He said nodding at the sharp one in my hand as he pulled the box over closer to himself.

            "I'll open it, thanks." I told him as I took it from him.

            "But it's addressed to both of us!"

            "I know but just..." I trailed off as I stuck the tip of the knife into the tape and slid the blade across the top of the box.

            I flipped open the sides of the top and lifted out the item inside.

            "What is it?" Liam asked curiously as he stared at it.

            It was a small white box and felt really cold. I was surprised the postal service could keep it that chilled.

            "What is it?" He asked again as I popped the pieces of tape off the sides of it. "Why's it gotta be refrigerated? Blue-"

            "Liam! Relax!" I said firmly as I looked up at him.

            Finally, the lid was off.

            "Pavlova." I mused while staring at it.

            The cream was as white as snow dolloped to cover the cake in its entirety. The strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi were heaped on top and didn't leave a spot of white exposed.

            I opened the drawer in the island and found a birthday candle.

            "Where's your lighter?" I asked Liam after I stuck the candle in the top of the cake.

            He grabbed it off the pack of his cigarettes that sat near the edge of the island counter top. He nodded as he passed it to me.

            I flicked the trigger and lit the candle. Then I pushed the cake in front of him. "Make a wish." I instructed.

            "For what?" He chuckled.

            I shrugged. "Whatever you want."

            He giggled again then closed his eyes and made one. A second later, the candle was out with one blow.

            I slept peacefully until Liam rousted me. Not on purpose though.

            He shuffled around rolling over on his back until he got out of bed and went into the bathroom. He stayed in there for a couple seconds before coming back out and leaving the bedroom.

            I closed my eyes again and pulled the blankets up over my shoulders. I could still feel the heat coming from Liam's side despite him not being there.

            He returned sometime later. I didn't check the clock so I had no idea how long he'd been gone. Probably not more than a half an hour if that.

            He sighed as he draped his arm over my ribcage and snuggled in.

            His breath felt warm like usual as he breathed on my shoulder. It sounded comfortable. A sure sign he was relaxed...until he whimpered.

            The bed sunk as he rolled over onto his back. I felt a slight chill when the space between us widened.

            He continued to whimper, moving his arms and legs around a bit.