That [Boy's] a Genius

"Go to lunch with me." Gene said as we walked down the hallway lined with offices in the Pretty Green shop.

            He was off school that day, an early release for the weekend, and followed me around the shop like a puppy.

            "Okay." I replied. "Let's go tell your dad."

            "So when ya gettin' back?" Liam asked curiously as he sat at a table in one of the conference rooms with Pat and Steve.

            "Later." Gene said. He grabbed my hand. "C'mon, Jules!" He led me away.

            We went to some part of London further away from Carnaby Street than I expected. But Gene was in charge of where we went on the tube and I trusted he picked somewhere good.

            "D'you like me more than the other kids?" He asked as we walked up the sidewalk towards the restaurant.

            "No." I replied shaking my head. "I like yins all the same."

            "It seems like ya spend a lot more time with me though."

            "Yeah. Because you're more easily accessible. Lennon and Anais do their own thing and Sonny and Donovan are a bit too young. But you, Genius, are much easier to make my pet project. My little guinea pig. Ah!" I made the realization. "Genius the Guinea Pig!"

            He giggled as we entered the restaurant.

            "I've got a proposition for you." Gene said as we began our meals.

            "Oh boy!" I exclaimed. "What on earth could it be?"

            "There's a Shire horse show up in Tarporley at the weekend."

            "Oh really?"

            "Yeah. And Black Jack's been entered-"

            "Good for Black Jack." I mused.

            He nodded. "He needs a handler and Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins have asked me to do it."

            My eyes widened a little. "What?"

            He nodded again. "And you're gonna help train me." He said.

            "No I'm not!" I shook my head.

            "Yes you are! You know how to show horses-"

            "I've never shown horses." I informed him.

            "But you've been around 'em your whole life." He pointed out. "You know the basics!"

            I sighed. "Gene-"

            "Just say you'll do it, Jules. Please?"

            He told me not to worry. He concocted the story to tell his parents and even made arrangements for Matt.

            "We're pickin' him up at Manchester Airport." He told me.

            "Oh good!" I beamed with a sarcastic smile.

            I didn't want to lie but Gene seemed like he wanted to escape again. And fuck knows I liked being away from the city sometimes.

            "Oi!" He exclaimed when I plugged my phone into the auxiliary jack. "What you doin'?"