Don't Waste the Sun on a Rainy Day

"Where's Gene?" Matt asked curiously as he scanned the main area of the hotel room.

"In his bedroom having quiet time." I replied.

He twisted his face in disbelief. "Isn't that the time where ya sit by yourself and read your Bible?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "And that's exactly what our Gene's doing!" I smirked.

He chuckled. "Is he okay?" He inquired a bit more seriously. "Y'know. After his-"

"Meltdown?" I suggested raising my eyebrows.

He nodded slightly.

"He's his father's son. It's to be expected. He'll be alright."

Gene was asleep the last time I checked on him. He disappeared into his room and when I found him I didn't want to disturb him. He needed the rest especially now it was almost time to leave Liverpool.

"I need you to do me a favor." I told Matt as we sat there quietly on the couch.

The train was loading up and we headed for our section. Like our trip to the North, we didn't have a private box. Just a table between four seats. Our trip back South would be no different...and we quickly found our seats.

I let Gene have the window seat while Matt sat across the table from us. We got comfortable as the empty seats around us started to fill.

"D'ya reckon Dad'll keep chasin' us?" Gene thought out loud.

"I don't-"

"If he knew we were in Liverpool then why the fuck did he go to Manchester?"

"I don't know." I told him. "But I'm about to find out." I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"What?!" Gene shrieked. "What the hell are you-"

"I'll see yins in London." I scurried off down the aisle.

"Jules!" Gene cried after me. "Jules!"

"It's alright, Gene!" Matt assured him.

I didn't look back and exited the train as fast as I could.

...

"She's gonna do a runner!" Gene exclaimed as he watched her disappear through the crowd on the platform. "She's gonna fuckin' run off and we'll never fuckin' see her again!"

"She's not gonna do that!" I argued. "You heard what she said-"

"How the bleedin' hell d'you know what she's gonna fuckin' do?!"

His eyes flickered with panic as his whole body shook a bit. As Jules had once told me: the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

She told me about Liam's "conniption fits" and by the way Gene was bouncing in his seat...they were obviously genetic.

"I just do." I replied keeping my voice as even as I could.

That was one of the tricks she told me...and I hoped to goodness it'd work.

...

The bus was quiet even though it was filling fast. I could've taken the train but a bus would get me to Manchester in about the same time.