If What You Know is Who You Are then [He's] Everything

It was a quiet fall afternoon. The weekend and for once Gene didn't have a soccer game. The most recent one had occurred during the week in an evening after school, and it was nice to have a break.

            The dogs napped while we hung out in the kitchen. Gene did his homework to get it out of the way while I wrapped up writing my latest interview.

            Everything was at peace...until someone pulled in the driveway.

            "What the fuck's she doin' here?!" Gene asked springing up from his seat at the table.

            "I'll deal with it." I replied trying to beat him to the door.

            "What the bleedin' hell does she want?"

            "I'll handle it, Gene! Don't worry!"

            The dogs were up in arms by then barking and bouncing around in preparation for the possible intruder.

            I told them to be quiet and managed to get out the door without them getting out too. Gene was right behind me as we headed down the sidewalk.

            "'Sup?" I greeted her with a nod.

            She smiled. "Hello-"

            "Why're you dressed like a freakin' Libertine?" Gene interrupted her. "The fuck d'ya think you are? Carl Barat or somethin'?"

            I flattened my lips. "Come on, Gene. We both know our Fi' don't have the creativity to be Carl Barat."

            "Thanks." She returned sarcastically.

            I grinned back in just as much sarcasm. "So why are you here?" I inquired. "And who's the suit?" I nodded over at the guy standing behind her. He was wearing sunglasses and looked awfully official.

            "My driver."

            "The only people taking taxi cabs as far as you have to get here are drug dealers." I nodded at the car.

            "That's a rental car, Jules." Gene pointed out.

            I shrugged my eyebrows as I continued to stare at it. "So it is."

            Just then, another car pulled in. A truck this time.

            "Right. I'm off!" Gene trotted towards the vehicle.

            I followed right behind him while Fiona stayed where she was...for the most part.

            "Hi, Tyler!" I beamed at him through his open driver's side window.

            "Hi, Jules!" He smiled back.

            Gene hopped up in the passenger's seat and put his seatbelt on.

            "So where are yins going?" I asked curiously.

            "To check out my tree stand." Tyler informed me.

            It was that time of year again. My dad had his set up and took Gene out to see it. Of course now Dad didn't want us in the woods since the deer were moving.

            "Alright. Be careful."

            I knew they would be and I was happy Gene had found such a good friend. His transition to Ohio was a lot easier done than said...which I'm sure he was happy about as well.