[He] Just Blows My Mind

It was easy for us to hide away. Actually, we weren't hiding. People knew where we were and could come visit if they really felt froggy enough.

            But because of Gene's wishes they kept their distance. Sporadic phone calls. Check-ins to update them quickly but not give much detail. It was what he wanted and no one argued with him.

            He adapted quite well in my neck of the woods. He attended the same high school my dad, uncle, aunts, grandma, and cousins all graduated from. He could've gone to mine but this option was better.

            They considered him an exchange student and I'm sure the girls all gushed over his British accent and blue eyes. He took the same girl to both homecomings and they looked pretty cute together.

            He joined the FFA and soccer team. Outside of school he joined the 4-H club I had belonged to and was ready to take all kinds of projects.

            Of course, the only still projects he was interested in were archery and guns. He joined the 4-H shooting club as well and loved every minute of it. As for livestock, he wanted to have every single species...but settled for a steer, two pigs, and two goats in the end.

            He had the steer since the previous November and the pigs and goats came home mid-March. My cousins helped him with the steer since I didn't know much about showing them but I was his coach for the other animals.

            Time flew by and before I knew it, Gene's animals were already unloaded, weighed in, and ready to be put on display for the county fair. I loved being back on the fairgrounds even though it really didn't feel like my fair anymore.

            We had a camper to spend the night in all week – part of the agreement from back in London. Just like we had someone to haul in Gene's animals since I had never driven a truck and trailer before.

            Gene didn't spend the first night in the camper. In fact, he had other sleeping arrangements for the whole week. His friend Tyler let him stay with him and his family. Tyler was a fellow member of the FFA and soccer team and was in almost every single one of Gene's classes at school. He belonged to a different 4-H club but he and Gene were still very close.

            Tuesday was the first big day or night really. The pig show was always in the evening so the pigs wouldn't get too hot.

            Gene had been busy that afternoon washing his hogs and getting them ready. The fair always buzzed the first two days for the hog and steer shows. The barn that housed the show ring was packed to the max by five o'clock.

            I hung in the pig barn with Gene for a bit. I put his exhibitor number on for him and fixed the collar on his shirt.

            "Don't be nervous." I told him.

            "I'm not." He assured shaking his head.

            But the look in his eyes said otherwise. There were a lot of kids who showed pigs. And the ones at Gene's age were likely veterans of the show ring. Ones who'd taken the project for years and knew way more than he probably did in a couple months.

            But 4-H was about fun. Sure, there was competition but it taught kids a lot...including our Gene.

            I made to leave as my grandparents and cousin saved me a seat in the stands but stopped myself when I saw two very certain people near the aisle doorway.

            "Oh for God's sake!" Gene exclaimed. "What the bloody hell are they-"

            "They've obviously come to watch you show your pigs." I cut him off. "Be nice."