tsukishima kei

EDITED: 6/19/21

A normal high school life. A normal life. That is what I want. It was what I had until a regular day in my so-called normal life came. Everything has never been the same since then.

I visited the hospital not too long ago and moped around the house the moment I arrived. I was speechless and baffled. Words couldn't form in my mouth, not even in my head.

I recently have been feeling a tight pull in my chest, and it has bothered me, especially in my sleep. I've gone too terrified of the pain and ended sleeping with my parents as an attempt of staying okay.

I feel a soft pat on my shoulder and turn to meet the eyes of my boyfriend. "Yes?" He dragged a chair from the desk behind me and sat next to me. "Is there something you want?"

"None. You were staring out the window and was just.. I don't know, lost in your train of thoughts?" I smile apologetically and glance at the view outside the window, and Kei knocks his hand on my head. 

"I'm sorry. The birds caught my attention, so I must've zoned out." I explain as I make hand gestures to further help him understand. "But is there anything you need?"

"Am I not allowed to sit with my girlfriend?" I smile and shake my head, and he pinches a tiny bit of my skin and pulls away with an eyelash. "Are you going home early tonight--?"

"(L/n)-san, I need your help. Do you mind assisting me in the infirmary?" The school nurse exclaims from the door, and I nod and smile apologetically to my boyfriend before dragging my feet across the room. "Drink your meds."

"Thank you for helping me out with this." She smiles, and we hurry to the infirmary.

I got my meds here to make sure Kei doesn't see it. I don't want him to know, not yet. I will tell him when I can say it already, but not right now. I just want to think about it first.

Kei looked at me suspiciously, and I simply smiled at him as I sat on my chair. He might be really confused right now. I came back only after a few minutes.

Classes were a bore and they were extreme too. Kei was staring at me the entire time, and I tried to make him avert his attention elsewhere, but I failed. We got called out for staring at each other and got detention.

Kei's excused from detention because of his club activities and because it's Inter High soon. I will be in an empty classroom with a teacher, just me but hopefully, with someone else.

I plop down on the seat and find my boyfriend walking over to me. "Kei, you're excused.."

"You are too." He says as he takes my hand and brings me outside with him. "No arguments."

"D-Don't drag me." He stops walking, and I find ourselves in an empty hallway. "Why am I excused?"

"The school nurse told the principal about your condition." My heart sunk and my entire body felt as if I was pulled back. "I don't know what condition.. but you're excused."

Kei tries to pull me to walk with him, but I let go and stay. He stops and turns to me, and I hang my head low as tears start to well-up in the corners of my eyes. I have to tell him.. I could've had more time.

"Kei.. I-I haven't told you, but I--"

"I know." I shot up and found a sullen look on his face. "You know you should be getting treated now." He says in quiet voice, and I shake my head repeatedly. "Sick people get treated, (Y/n)."

"I-I will.. but.. not now." I rub my elbow, and he takes my hand and gently presses on my wrist. I let out a whimper, and he lets go. "H-How did you know?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I turn away, and he sighs. "Are you trying to be a pathetic heroine? Where she randomly disappears or calls it off with her partner in the story, and let him hate her for the rest of his life.. only to discover that she died from being ill?"

"No.. That's not it. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how.."

"But it was an option, wasn't it?" I stay silent, and he sighs, again. "What kind of boyfriend do you take me for? After graduation.. that's even soon--less than two months."

"Will you be there?" I ask as I look up to meet his eyes. "Don't want to save yourself from a heartbreak?" I smirk, and he furrows his brows. 

Kei holds my hands and presses them gently. He pulls me to him, kisses my forehead as his hands rest on my waist, and rests his forehead on mine. I tilt my head questioningly, and he simply looks at me.

"I'll be there, of course." I smile and kiss his cheek, and he kisses me and hugs me close to his chest. He rests his chin on my shoulder, and I wrap my arms around his neck. "And there are no heartbreaks because you're not dying."

"Of course I won't die.. because you'll be there for me." I feel him chuckle and smile to myself as I break away from the hug. "You love me, don't you? You worry." He jerks a brow, and I laugh.

"Do you honestly think I'd date you if I didn't?" I shrug, and he clicks his tongue in annoyance. 

"Tell me you do then." I smile innocently and my eyes widen as he replies with a kiss. "We're still in school..? Where we can be seen...?"

He leans in, stops at my ear, and whispers, "I love you, so don't die on me, Shortcake."