Chapter 22

"I already told you I will not be taking Isabella with me!" Someones angry voice woke me up.

I groaned and covered my face with the remaining part of the blanket which was now sprawled all over the floor.

"Christopher I understand! but Isabella will be perfect for the job!"

"What part of 'I won't be risking my sister's life'  didn't you understand?" Christophers deep voice exclaimed making my eyes widen from it's sleepless state.

I was fully alert now. What was happening? Why were Christopher and Antonio arguing?

"I will not be risking my sister being seen for any job! I can easily find another attractive woman for the job Antonio"

"Who do you have in mind Boss?"

"I will figure something out Antonio, this event is important we cannot afford being caught!"

Their voices seemed to come closer. I figured they were walking towards my room. I wondered what was this job they were talking about?

"I will wake her u-" Antonio got interrupted.

"No I will!" Isabella's voice appeared out of nowhere.

"Isabella" Christopher said sharply.

"What?" she sneered.

"Didn't I tell you to stay away from people you don't know?"

"Stay away from people I don't know?" she scoffed.

"The last time I checked I wasn't eight years old! Christopher you cannot keep controlling me!" she exclaimed making me smile.

She was finally stepping up for herself.

"You are my sister Isabella and I want the best for you" He continued reminding me of my brother. Him and Alex were so familiar. Both of them were obsessed with 'protecting' their sisters.

"You do not know anything about her,  she may be dangerous" He said making me scoff soundlessly.

"Dangerous?" She laughed.

"I have been present on five gun fights, three drug deals, I was almost killed four times and my family members are all Mafia leaders,  Christopher! . I think my life itself is dangerous. Besides I like her,  she is the only girl that I could be friends with in here!"

I smiled at this. She was stating the truth. She is a mafia member herself and her life ought to be dangerous whether anyone likes it or not. She was fighting for the chance of getting a friend. I closed my eyes at the thought. I couldn't afford getting attached to anyone in here. Not even a girl like Isabella.

"Isa-" Christopher was cut off.

"Don't Isabella me, just accept the fact that I'm old enough to choose friends"

"I will no-"

"Sir there is a call from Cuba, it's about the deal" Someones voice cut him off once more.

After I was sure they left I sighed and sat down on the bed. I heard a knock on the door. I chuckled knowing it's Isabella.

"Come in" I voiced.

Isabella entered the room smiling at me. She was wearing blue pjammas and had her hair in a messy bun.

"How much did you hear?" she asked looking apologetic.

"Till you showed him who's the real boss here" I chuckled.

"Arg" she groaned dropping herself down on the little bench under the window.

"I'm sorry- it's just I have never had a friend before" she said after a second.

"It's okay I didn't have any either" I said calmly. I felt a little pang on my heart while saying that. I didn't want to refer to him as a friend.

"Trust me it's better not to have any friends.  They turn out to be the exact opposite of what you thought they were."  I said suddenly. Why was I telling her this?

"You say that as if you experienced it yourself" she raised an eyebrow at me clearly understanding the drift.

"Are you sure you had no friends at all?" she asked me quietly.

I closed my eyes. Why was it so hard for me to talk?. Maybe because I have forbidden talking or even thinking about him to myself.

"I had one friend. He was a very good friend..or so I thought. But then he-he  ended up being the exact opposite of what I thought him to be. He wasn't the childhood best friend I grew to have. He was a different person who didn't care about me at all. He broke me down completely and-" I stopped talking.

Why was I hurting myself further? Didn't I tell myself to never mention him again?.

"Gabriella," Isabella muttered sitting straight.

"I-I am so-"

"Don't be" I cut her off.

"It's in the past. I know better now. Besides I do not need any friends  I am fine by myself" I said bluntly.

Something flashed in her eyes but she covered it. She smiled at me instead and got up excitedly.

"Enough of the sad stuff!. Let's get ready together!"  she smiled at me once again. I couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

I didn't want her to feel like I didn't want to be friends specificly with her. I should at least spend some time with her.

I nodded and got up. We soon stared getting ready together. I found out we have much more in common that I imagined. Both of us have been spoiled all their childhood, we were both from Mafia families, we both had overprotective caveman of brothers (I didn't tell about mine of course). We both loved the color black and red. We had the same favorite book. As we kept talking I felt more and more connected with her. We seemed to bond so easily,  it's like we we knew each other all life.

We chose our outfits and did our make up. I got out of my room in a good mood and went downstairs to the meeting room with her. When we got there Christopher,  Antonio and couple of other man were discussing something.

Suddenly Vincent stopped talking and glanced at me. A grin spread across his face.

"Boss, what if Gabriella is your partner?" He smirked at me.

Christopher didn't answer. His cold eyes glanced towards me as he eyed me up and down.

"No" He said simply.

"She is not fit for the job" He added.

"She is not?" Vincent raised an eyebrow.

"Sir Gabriella is very  good looking,  and as we all know is a great actress. These are all the qualities you need for the job right?"  He pressed the topic further.

"They certainly are not. She needs to be quick and guilt free which she is not. She has to be up for my liking and fit for the job not just good looking"

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed suddenly.

"I do not know what job are we talking about,  but  I am quicker than any other woman you've met Sir and you know it. I am a good actor as you have said yourself and please you do not need to act like you do not find me good looking."

"I am not guilt free because that quality is not made for humans Christopher. But I definitely do not run back apologizing to people. I am loyal to my job" I said calmly looking at Antonio.

Christopher only smirked at me.

"Quite a speech Princess. I almost wanted to applaud" He said a sarcastic smile playing upon his lips.

"Then why didn't you?" I smiled back.

"You just earned yourself a new task gattina" He smirked.

Stronzo. I thought but did not say out loud.

"What job are we talking about?"