CHAPTER 2: Present Time

"This is a 100% rare kind of silver that can only be found 300 years ago and if I'm not mistaken it's in the St. John Era!" Syl exclaimed to himself who is currently sitting in front of his desk inside his private study room.

Inspecting the dangle earring that he bought yesterday, he confirmed his theory when he found the carvings of SJE on it. The carving is so small that it can be seen by just simply looking at it. You have to use a microscope to see it. "I wonder how they did it?" he asked himself.

Syl woke up early to be able to start his investigating about the earring and the diary. He informed his father that he will be taking a break from the laboratory last night. His father was delighted upon hearing him that he will take a break.

"It's about time you decided to rest," his father said looking at him with a pleased expression. "It's been a long time since you have time for yourself, you're always engrossed with your research or with your recordings," his father continued then he raised his glass towards him with a smile.

But the pleasant mood was disturbed by his mom. "Erick don't look so pleased about your son taking a break from work, because that son of yours found another work to do, that is why he's asking for a break," his mother told his father with the rolled of her eyes.

Erick looked at him with a questioning brow. He sighed and smiled at his father. "Well actually dad I found this earring in the antique shop today and I bought it, it also comes with a small wooden box and I want to investigate its origin."

"Son I thought you're asking for a break in the lab to unwind but you still planning to do research. Why don't you go to another country or go to parties and have fun with your friends." Erick said trying to convince his son to take proper rest.

"Dad you know I don't like parties it will just stress me out. I don't want to travel and about having fun with my friends they are currently busy as off now." Syl is not a very outgoing type of person and he rarely trusted people because he knows that some of them just want to be in his good side.

He only just has two true friends and they are currently in their honeymoon right now. "Besides this is not work it is for my own pleasure, you know that I love collecting antique items and learn about their origin, It relaxes me, it likes it is a part of me," his father and mother look at each other and sigh.

"I hope he marries," his mom suddenly blurted out. He almost chokes at the words that he heard from his mom. He looked at his mom shock and he started shaking his head.

"Not happening No... I'm still young for that and besides I don't have someone in particular..." he interjected.

"I could look for you if you want," his mom offered him with a serious face

His eyes become round like a saucer and he paled. "Mom no please just don't," he said fear is evident in his voice.

He shuddered when he remembered what his mom implied last night. Luckily his father pitied him and stopped his mother on torturing him. He sighs and looks at the box in front of him. He decided to open it and take the notebook out.

He first inspected the outer layer of the notebook. The cover is made of genuine leather the color is black. Though it is 300 years ago it looks neat and it smells like old paper.

He felt excited like a child. He stroked the front cover of the notebook and smells it again and he smiled. "Let's see who you are..."

He carefully unfastens the strap of the notebook and gently open it. The first page contains two letters which are SL and followed by a date 01 may 1708.

This letters must be the initial of the owner of this notebook and as for the date, he still doesn't know. He turned the next page but unlike the first one the second page is filled with writings and he started reading it.

Syl Langley is my name and today is my birthday (May 01, 1708). I just turn 15 years old.

When he read this he felt that the hair in his nape rose and he shivered he felt weird about the coincident of having the same name and birthday of the previous owner of the diary with the exception of the year.

"So I'm right this is a diary. Interesting," he felt amused by his discovery, the uneasiness that he felt earlier was gone when he realizes that his first intuition about the notebook being a diary is true. He smiled to himself. Then he continued reading it.

Father bought me this notebook as a gift. He told me that this is a diary which I could write all my happy memories that I will treasure and also some of the unhappy memories so that I will remember and learn from them so I will not repeat the same mistake again. So to start, I will write about two of my happy treasures. My father's name is Noah Langley and my Mother's name is Cecil Langley. My father is a healer and he also makes medicines and my mother is a housewife, she loves planting flowers, different kind of plants and even herbal plants in our small backyard. My mother is gifted when it comes to planting and father is gifted when it comes to making medicine, concoctions, and antidotes, He uses the plants that mother planted in making his medicine that he used to cure his patients. Before I'm just helping mother in planting her plants and herbals but now father promise me that starting tomorrow he will be teaching me how to make medicine and how to use them to cure diseases. I'm really looking forward to it. Because becoming a healer like father is my greatest dream. That's it for now. Goodnight.

When he finished reading the first entry he was astounded he and this person have so much similarity, having the same name is not unusual of course but having the same birth date, dream and their father's work is so much for a coincidence.

He looked at the diary intently and a thought in his mind as he glances at the earring on the table and looks at the diary again. "Is it possible? Are you my past life? Syl Langley?"