CHAPTER 26: Fredrick

Fredrick watched as the consort and his brother treated the wound on his little brother's face. At first, he was worried when they told him that they need to put Georgie to sleep but the consort was very patient with him while he explains why they need to do it with Georgie. On what he understand is they need to put him to sleep so Georgie will not feel any pain while they treated him because the thing that they about to do with him is quite painful and it needs to be done to prevent infection and for the wound to heal quickly. In the end, he agreed.

He was amazed at how the consort treated the wound on his brother's face even he cannot believe that it only takes him a small amount of time to finish all he needs to do. It was like he so used to do these kinds of things. If he was not mistaken this consort is the famous apothecary today who made those strange medicines that can heal within days.

He saw how Ren assists the consort in treating his brother and sometimes the consort will ask questions at him and he will answer him. They were like student and teacher may be the consort is also teaching Ren. He felt envious with Ren to be able to serve such a kind master.

Ren has been the topic of all the servants in the palace these past few days. Everyone heard what happened to the Queen Dowager's palace and they all felt happy and quite envious with Ren's great fortune.

Unlike him who is stuck to his wicked mistress who always scolded and hurt him every day, and now he disobeyed her, he didn't have a job anymore and home for his brother. How can they even survive now, he thought worriedly

After Syl was done treating Georgie's boils he asked Ren if he could prepare food for them because he is sure that these children are starving. He saw Fredrick sitting on the couch in the living room staring at his little brother and noticed his face.

He looked so anxious and was about to cry. This kid didn't even cry on their way home, though he looks so worried and scared for his brother. He saw how this kid holds his tears back and keep smiling to his little brother to calm him down but now this child is about to cry on his own.

"Hey, are you alright?" Syl decided to approach the boy. Fredrick looked at the consort who is beside him. He just nods his head and tried to smile at him and look at his brother again.

Syl saw the forced smile on the kid's face. "Don't worry he will be fine in no time, the wounds on his face will heal soon, I promise you, he will be as good as new," he said trying cheer the boy up. The boy looked at him with hopeful eyes. "Promise?" the boy asked him. "I promise," putting his right hand on his left chest. "Thank you," the boy answered him now smiling genuinely at him.

Syl decides to sit in front of the child. Facing each other he looked at the child's conditions. He looked so thin, like his not eating properly, his clothes look so old and dirty. He had big bags under his eyes and his also pale. He actually doesn't look like a servant, he looks more like a slave.

He now knew that this boy is working for Lady Amanda because of what she said to him before they left. He thought that the servants in lotus villa are all being treated properly, then why this kid looks like this.

Fredrick felt embarrassed at how the consort looks at him. He knew that he was checking his appearance and knew that he looks more like a slave than a servant, he's so ashamed that he just bowed his head and try to look little as he could.

"Look at me, What is your name?" Fredrick heard the consort asked him, he tried looking at his eyes but he failed he didn't want to see pity in his eyes. That's why he bowed his head again and answered him. "My name... is Fredrick Stanley Humphrey,"

"I told you to look at me didn't I?" the consort said with a stern voice. He didn't want to make the consort angry at him and he immediately look at him feeling anxious, He was surprised when he saw the consort eyes. This person is not pitying him instead he feels like this person is angry but not with him but with his situation.

If earlier he can't look straight to his eyes, now he didn't want to avert his eyes from him.

"That's more like it," he heard the consort say and he smiled at him.

"You said your name is Fredrick Stanley Humphrey? Are you related to the Duke of Lynneville?" Ren asked from the door of the living room carrying a tray of sandwiches and tea. He placed the tray on the table in front of them. Then he handed some to the child, the child looks at the food longingly.

"Come on take it and eat, you need it," Syl told him. The boy took the sandwich shyly and begun to eat.

"Why do you ask him if he's related to the Duke of Lynneville?" Syl asked Ren curious in the subject.

"Because the Duke of Lynneville name is Sigmund Humphrey that why I ask," Ren answered him

"How did you know that?" he asked him again with a raised brow. Ren bit his lips he forgot that his brother didn't know that his past time before was to listen to his adopted mother who is a big gossip in their village. He felt embarrassed but still continued when he saw his brother still waiting for his answer.

"You see, brother my mother is the big gossip on our village and she often talks to our neighbors and I heard them one time and they were talking about the Duke of Lynneville," he explained and he saw Syl gesture him to continue wanting to hear more.

"Well, she said that Duke of Lynneville was not the real Heir to the dukedom. I heard that his father was just the younger brother of the previous Duke. That the previous Duke has his own two sons but those sons were still young they said that the Uncle was named as the Duke but he also died and his older son which is Sigmund claim the dukedom setting aside the real heir of Lynneville. That's what all I heard" Ren stated.

"My uncle was never named as the next Duke nor he claimed it. He was named as our protector until our legal age. It was my cousin Sigmund who claimed the title and our estate from us," Syl and Ren totally forgot the child was just sitting with them they were surprised when they heard his voice.