CHAPTER 27: Heirs of Lynneville

Both Syl and Ren looked at the boy who just finished eating his sandwich. The boy stayed quiet after what he had told them, he was looking at his clench hand with hatred in his eyes.

"If you are the children of the previous Duke of Lynneville, how come you are in this situation?" Syl inquired.

"Our mother died because of sweating sickness when I was 5 and my brother was 2. A year after that our father followed because of a heart attack, they said he was too sadden with our mother's death. He named our Uncle Jayson as our protector. My uncle loves us both like we are his real son, he doted on us, love us, we've been with him for 2 years. But one night he was ambushed on his way home and he was killed by the bandits. That's when our lives started to change,"

"When my uncle died the obligation of being our protector was passed on to our cousin Sigmund. He is the older child of our uncle's wife. After that he told everybody that my uncle was named as the Duke of Lynneville by our father and that he has the right to claim the Dukedom because his father was the Duke, telling everybody that I and my brother didn't have the capacity to handle the estate. Everyone believed him from then on we are set aside,"

"Everything changes little by little, our room has been taken from us even our clothes, they even make us leave with the servants and I started to work at the stable. They even said that because of the way our parents lived their lives the estate doesn't have enough funds to support the estate that is why the servants and some of the villagers hated us, they turn everyone against us. No one helps us at all,"

"One day my aunt Helga together with our cousins called me. At first, I thought they want to apologize on what they have done to us but I was wrong. Instead, they told me that my brother and I will have to separate because they cannot afford to spend too much money on us. They told me that I need to work and earned our keep. They want me to go and work with my cousin Amanda in the palace because she was invited by the King as one of his consort,"

"That's when I felt like my world crumbled down. I pleaded with them I even told them that I'm willing to work at the farm just to be with my brother. I promised my parents that we will always be together but I failed to fulfill that and this what happened to him," Fredrick was already crying when he was done telling them his story.

Syl felt sorry for this child, who once makes his previous soul happy and brought light in his dimming life. Who had to go in that kind of treatment from the hands of his own family. Seeing this child who holds his tears when he saw his brother, who force a smile in front of his little brother to calm him down, is now crying in front of him. It makes his heartache and feels angry with the people who do this to a child, An 8 year old child, how despicable they can get.

Syl went to the child and hugged him tightly. He rubbed the child's back to calm him down. "From now on you and your brother were going to live with me. No one will separate you two again, I'll protect both you, I promise you that," he told the child with a soft and determined voice.

Fredrick is shocked to hear what the consort just told him that he stop crying. He immediately detached himself to the consort and look at his face. "You're going to take us in?" he asked not believing what he heard,

"Yes I will," the consort answered him with a smile. "Really?" he asked again not believing his luck. The consort just nodded to him still smiling. Then he burst into tears again he was thanking the consort wholeheartedly, he was too happy that he cannot believe that everything is real that he's going to be with his brother again. All through his crying he only felt the soft arms of the consort wrap around him and his soft voice telling him that everything's going to be alright.

"Brother I think these little boys need to rest first before dinner," Ren suggested when he saw how tired the boy looks who is in his brother's arms. He was not surprised by his brother decision after hearing what happened to these boys he wanted to do the same thing. He didn't understand but it's like he saw himself in these little boys.

"Yes, I think the same way too," Syl agreed to what Ren suggested. "Can you take them to their room first, I will just follow you guys after I clean up here," Syl added. Fredrick already detached himself from Syl when he heard their conversation.

"Hey, You alright now?" he asked the child while wiping his cheeks. The boy nodded and smiled at him. "Alright, I want you to follow Ren he will bring you guys to your room," he told the boy.

Fredrick stood up and he saw Ren already carrying his little brother he immediately walks toward Ren and he outstretched his arms high to get his brother. Ren saw this and smiled at the boy, He shook his head. "No not today you need to rest, you look tired you might drop him," he told the boy jokingly.

Fredrick drops his arms o his side dejectedly master Ren was right his to weak right now, but he feels embarrassed to let the consort's brother carry his brother. Ren saw his dejected face. "Hey, don't worry it's fine alright, come on follow me," the boy just nodded at him.

Fredrick followed the young master but when he saw him went straight to the stairs and not the kitchen where he knew where servants stayed he can help but ask.

"Master Ren why are we going upstairs?" the servant's room is in that way, right? He asked while pointing the direction of the kitchen. Ren felt all his hair on his body rose up when he heard the boy called him master, it is not good for his ears he thought. He looked at the boy who is standing behind him not taking any step on the stairs. He smiled he understand that the boy is confused, well the rules in this house was not normal after all he thought.

"No one slept at the servant quarters. Actually, no one is allowed to go there except if brother asked us to do so, that is why we are heading upstairs where the rooms are," Ren explained to the confused looking boy.

"But the rooms upstairs are for family use only and sometimes for their visitors right?" he asked still confuse. "Brother will explain that to you later, and by the way Fredrick please never call master again it makes all the hair on my body raise up" and he shivered. "Call me brother Ren instead that's more I like it," he told the boy.

The boy was about to answer when Syl interrupted them, "Call me brother Syl too. The word Master is not allowed in this household," he said while patting the child's head.

Fredrick felt overwhelmed, this is the first time that someone shows kindness to them since his parents and uncle died, he rubs his eyes to stop the tears from falling before looking at them and nodded with a smile.

"Alright pick any rooms that you want. Syl told him. "One room is enough for us brother Syl," he said shyly.

"No can't do. You two are growing boys you need separate rooms," Syl told him "but come to think of it, little Georgie here needs to settle first, uhm... Alright, for now, you will room together but when Georgie felt better you will have to transfer in your own room," Syl said to the boy,

"Brother I think it's best if we place them first in a room that is both near to us so we could check on them if they need anything," Ren suggested.

Syl agreed on what Ren just told him so they chose the room beside his and adjacent to Ren's room. Fredrick didn't argue with his new big brothers they put them into bed. At first, he was too reluctant to lay on the bed because of his clothes, but Syl told him not to worry about anything.

Before Fredrick closes his eyes he prayed to his parents. "Mother, Father thank you for sending brother Syl and Ren to us. You don't have to worry about us anymore. From now on we have someone who will take care of us and I promise to look after Georgie too. No one can separate us again. I promise that I will give my love and loyalty to my new family. I will love them as much as I love you,"