CHAPTER LXXI

Dark clouds looming at the land of Wessmor , the heavens mourning with them. The people are still doing the things that they have to do to live with heavy hearts. It's been a week since the black smoke came out from the palace, bearing bad news from the royal family that saddens all the people of the land.

Bhaer stared at the back of the woman standing straight, overseeing the land from the High Tower of the Palace. He can still remember how this woman momentarily loss her strength when she receives the letter that wrecks her whole being a week ago.

He could still remember the day when the Queen Dowager receives the letter from the Consort of Jasmine, it was a fine and sunny day, the Queen Dowager was at her garden tending with her flowers, morning court is already finished and she was just done having lunch with the little boys. She was standing by her flowers when she received the letter from him, she excitedly open the letter expecting for a good news, but as he watches her and he felt something wrong when he saw the smile on her face slowly fading from her face and tears are slowly falling from her eyes and he could never forget the loudest and the saddest cry he ever heard from her. He saw how she slowly loss the strength from her knees and he caught her and supported her while she clutches at the letter in her chest.

Bhaer could never imagine how this woman can still stand here and be strong after losing his precious boys and now another problem is coming their way. A woman like her should be grieving for the loss of her son and for the miss fortune of the other but no she can have that because she still needs to protect her grandsons from the danger that is coming their way.

"Your Grace, a letter just came from the North it's from the Consort of Jasmine," Eleanor turned around when she heard the chief aid of her son. She held her hand to him and he handed him the letter she opens the letter and saw the same handwriting that she read the same day that wreck her peace.

She could still remember the pain that she felt upon receiving the news that her precious son, her King died. It's exactly two months and a half since Archid and Nicholas left the palace, she never dreamed that one of them will return to her lifeless and the one will forever be in hiding.

It was like she was tossed in the cold river and to make matters worse the news about her second son is the one who instigated the assassination of the King added to the pain that she is feeling right now.

She wants to drown with her sorrow but she can't, as the Queen bless by the heaven she can't. She knows that because of the loss of her son many will want to get the sit that every man with greed would like to have.

She sighs after reading the letter, she just wanted to grieve her loss, she wanted to let the tears just run down, why is this happening to her family. But she needs to be strong for her little grandsons, she needs to be.

"The King's entourage already started their journey by land," she said after reading the letter.

"Why by land? Why not board a ship it will be faster that way," Bhaer couldn't help but ask.

The Queen Dowager look at the man behind her, she saw a dark circles around his eyes she knows this man must also grieving the loss of her son. He watches the King when he was still a child. He serves her son for a long time that he decided not to have his own family and dedicated his life for the family. He was like the second father for her sons she can imagine what kind of pain this man was suppressing inside him.

"I'm sorry Your Grace for suddenly asking that question, I was just curious why," Bhaer explained when the Queen Dowager didn't answer him and just stared at him.

"It's the King's last wish to travel by land, we can't do anything about it, we just have to stay here and wait," she said with a heavy heart. Bhaer who understand the situation didn't say anything.

"Your Grace, that parade that is coming from the west is headed by the Duke of Lynneville, our people said that they started moving after they heard the news that a black smoke came out from the palace," Bhaer said after he saw the incoming parade from the West.

"And the council members are requesting for your audience, Your Grace, to discuss the next ruler of the land," he continued when the Queen Dowager didn't say anything about his first report.

The Queen Dowager turns to face the chief aide with a sneer on her face that causes the man to feel nervous. "Don't you find it ironic that the Duke of Lynneville is already in our doorstep and council requesting for me to name the next King, are they playing games with me?" the Queen Dowager said with a cold voice that gave the man chills.

Eleanor took one last look to the outside and sneers and turn around and walk pass the chief aide, "I haven't given my son a proper funeral and yet they want me to name another King, I think they don't need my approval at all because they already have someone in mind and his already coming for us. Once the Duke of Lynneville is at the gate let him in and serve him tea, I want to hear the reason why he came here for and tell the council that I grant they're request, let's dance on their game shall we," the Queen Dowager said mockingly, the man can't sense any fear from this kindhearted woman all he can feel is range coming out from her.

It's been so long since Eleanor felt this kind of rage in her heart, these people didn't even give her time to grieve for her lost, she just lost her child, her King and the other one is being accused of a crime that she knows that he will never commit and now this.

They are all in a hurry to take the royal family out and replace them. These people can't even suppress their greed to the throne. What? Do they think it's just easy to take the sit that's never meant for them. This only proves that mortals like her are really naïve and greed driven. Don't they even learn from the past? But she won't let these people ruin the things that she and her husband and friends build to appease the heavens for the wrongs of their predecessors.