62: Man to Man

Chapter 62: Man to ManDave

Dave

"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection"
[Thomas Paine]

"Aye, can I holla at you for a minute" Dave asked as he casually approached Chris. He knew in order to go any further with April then this had to be done especially if he wanted them to really work out. So whatever he had to do he was going to do especially if it helped ease his wondering mind. All this week he had been in his head and he was ready to put the shit to rest.

"Sup" Chris nodded as they clapped it up like they normally would and walked over to the other side of the room out of everyone's ear shot. This was a personal matter between the two. He didn't want any bad blood between any of them because at the end of the day Chris would be a part of their blended family as well as Royalty. So all Dave wanted was clarity and peace between them all and this was the first step.

"First off congratulations is in order so congrats. I know you and April are happy bout the baby" Dave congratulated him because even though the circumstances were fucked up he knew just how much of a blessing this baby was to April. Besides he was trying to be the bigger man. "I wanted to speak to you man to man father to father because we'll be around each other more often than usual and I'll be around ya child which isn't new but the dynamics will be a lil different. I know you felt a way bout me dating April in the beginning but real talk I love that woman. Shit is a lil tricky right now because I wasn't expecting this but I'm going to be around and I don't want any issues or cause any rifts between you two especially when there's children involved mine included" Dave looked at him keeping eye contact. He wanted Chris to know that not only will he be around Royalty when she visited April but he'd also be around and a part of the baby's life just as he would for Kairi.

Chris nodded. "Thanks preciate' it. I can't lie a nigga felt a way in the beginning. I figured we were boys so you knew she was off limits just like I wouldn't fuck around with ya baby mama. I honestly didn't think it needed to be said. It was an unspoken rule. But I come to realize that I can't stop y'all from fuckin with each other even if I tried. Y'all are grown and free to do as y'all please. We're still cool in my book. She's ya person I get it and she loves you. All I want is for her to be happy and you do that for her so there's no problem. There aren't many women out here like April so if you got her you gotta cherish her. They don't make too many like her anymore. I fucked up something good. So don't be like me and make the same mistake" Chris paused and took a pull from his blunt letting the smoke invade his lungs then exhaled.

"We weren't expecting this shit to happen by a long shot but we don't regret it. Shit I never even thought I'd get the chance to be that intimate with her again but shit happens" he said and shrugged. "I know you didn't sign up for this and neither did we but she's pregnant and it's happening. I don't know if she told you bout the whole situation with Jr but I fucked up bad. Not only wasn't I there for April but I wasn't there for my own son. My fuckin first born and a nigga weren't there. This is my second chance to do and get it right and this is April's chance at being a mother. That woman treats my child like she's her own flesh and blood. If April didn't deserve anything she deserves this. She looks out for everybody else it's her turn now. It might be hard for you to accept but trust she's not checking for me. She's all yours" Chris said speaking the truth.