80: The Listening Party

Chapter 80: The Listening PartyApril

April

Today was the day of all days. It was the day April and Dave had been waiting for. She had finally gotten to that six week mark but unfortunately her doctor appointment wasn't until the very next day but they were good. They had waited all this time so an extra day wouldn't kill them. Besides they had been on cloud nine since yesterday and nothing and no one was going to kill their vibe. It was as if the weight had finally been lifted off their shoulders and the universe was on their side. Yesterday was a great day and today was going to add some icing on that second layer of cake. The way things were going they were feeling damn good. The court case between Dave and Millie was officially over and they would never forget that day. Papi finally had full custody of Kairi and Millie was just shit out of luck and it was nobody's fault but hers. Not only that they had finally found out why the judge had been prolonging the case.

Flashback...

"In the custody case of Kairi Chanel Brewster I grant David Brewster Jr with full custody. Before you start celebrating I feel the need to tell you why I prolonged the case for so long because the evidence alone was enough to grant you full custody Mr. Brewster" the judge said as he kept his eyes on Dave then continued.

"I did what I did hoping that your child's mother would realize that her parental rights were on the line and that she would no longer have any visitation rights unless you guys worked something out between the two of you. I hoped that she would realize her faults and most importantly that her child needed her. Every child needs a mother just like they need their father but she proved me wrong time and time again that she wasn't interested in being involved in her life at all. We all go through things in life but when your child is on the line I would hope that you would want to do better but that wasn't the case" he paused.

"I commend you for being the father that you are and making sure that your child is your main priority. We honestly need more black men like you who are dedicated to making sure your child is well taken care of and loved the way that they are supposed to be. From the looks of it you have a pretty tight knit family and they love your little girl so keep up the great work and I hope you guys continue to prosper. Your child is very blessed to have a father like you" the judge said as he kept his attention on Dave and looked behind him to see his side filled with family while Millie's was as empty as it could be besides the lawyer the court had appointed to her.

Everyone who could make it came out to the hearing. Both Dave and April's parents had shown up. April and Charlie were in attendance. There was no way she was going to sit this one out. She wanted the judge to know that their family was good and their child was well loved and taken care of and that Dave had a very good support system. Bully, Shooter, Ebony, uncle NyReek, and even Chris and Trey had shown up. Unfortunately August and Alaina couldn't make it but they sent their blessings and would be in Jersey tomorrow night to join the festivities.