Chapter 1

Courtney

Hey guys!

So glad I could talk to y'all again. Anyway, it's been what?

Seven years?

It's been a long time. Anyway, let me catch y'all up on some things. I moved to Tennessee, as you know, and I stayed.

Dad died a couple months ago and my step-mom didn't like me after that so she kicked my out of the house. I moved in with a co-worker, and my best friend, May Young.

She's super nice. I haven't talked to anyone back in Minnesota in a while. It's kind of sad. I miss them. Anyway, let's go back to the story.

I'm in the kitchen right now washing the dishes while May got the mail. I was singing some of Ocean's newest songs. I heard May walk in. "Hey May, any mail for me?" I asked. I heard the door close.

"Uh, let me see." I heard May say. "No... No... No... Oh, here's one." I put the dish back in the sink and dried my hands.

"Who's it from?" I asked. I put the rag back on the counter and looked at May.

"Uh, University of Minnesota." May replied. I stared at her with shock.

"What?" I asked. I walked over to behind her and looked at the mail.

"Here, see? University of Minnesota. Right here." May said, pointing at the letter. I was shaking. UOM has the best hockey team. I have always wanted to go there. I grabbed the letter from May and opened the letter and unfolded it. I started to read.

Dear Ms. Courtney O. Jane,

The University of Minnesota has excepted you to come to our college. We will now give you a full scholarship for hockey and to play for our team, The Lightning. We hope that you join us on October 12, 2003, to the graduation to receive your scholarship. Thank you for your time.

The Hockey Officials of the University of Minnesota

I could help but stare at the letter. I smiled. "What did it say?" May asked. I looked at her.

"I just got a scholarship to one of the best college hockey teams ever." I stated in shock. She smiled happily and gasped.

"Congrats Courtney!" May yelled. She got up from her chair and hugged me. "When is it?" I let go of her and looked at the letter again.

"I'm three days! I need to get packed and pay for my plane ticket and I need to call Charlie to pick me up! I don't have time!" I yelled. I ran over to the phone and dialed Charlie's number.

Well, hopefully his number.

I haven't called him in seven years so I don't know if he changed him number. The phone started to ring.

"Hello?" A guy answered.

"Hi, is Charlie there?" I asked. A pause.

"Who is this?" The man asked.

"Courtney... Courtney Jane?" There was a pause.

"Courtney? Courtney, this is Charlie. How did you get my number?" Charlie asked. I smiled.

"Best friends don't forget." I replied. I heard him start to laugh.

"Anyway, what up? How's old Tennessee?" Charlie asked.

"Pretty good. Miss y'all though. Hey, did you get the letter?" I asked.

"Yeah! I'm so happy we got in." He stated. I smiled.

"Me too. But I need a favor." I stated.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I'm comin' out and I need you to pick me up at the airport." I explained.

"Sure, of course! Can't wait to see you."

"Same here. I got to go pack. Can you pick me up at the airport tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'll see you soon." Charlie stated.

"Bye."