Episode 69: Blade of Ruin

I punched one of the last metal figures standing

I ran over to Adela, who looked like she could fall over at any moment. The ground underneath was charred. She had managed to melt all of the other metal knights, but the attack had drained her significantly.

"Are you okay?" I asked, grabbing her by the left shoulder.

"I'll be fine. Continue after him," Adela said, her breathing harsh. "We mustn't let him fall to darkness."

I furrowed my brow and looked over my shoulder at the twin halls. Iah had managed to escape during the chaos. Sadly, I couldn't see which path he had taken.

"It might be best to wait for Kun to catch up," I said, closing my eyes. Getting lost wouldn't help at all.

Adela turned to face the forked path. "He went left."

"You saw?"

"No, but I'm feeling something in that direction. A power akin to that of abysmals."

"A power of the abyss, huh? Then we have no choice but to stop him," I said, taking a step forward. "Stay there! I'll be back!"

Adela smiled weakly. "Even if I wanted to leave, I'm not in any condition to do so."

I laughed as I gathered water into my palms. "Why are the three of you so snarky?"

"Well, you certainly aren't left behind in that field."

She had a point there. I probably was the snarkiest one in the group.

"Bye!" I yelled. I swung my hands behind me and fired off beams of water. The force sent me flying through the hall with ease, getting past a vast chasm. Iah likely made a stone bridge and tore it down after he'd cross through for us not to follow.

I weakened the power of my water jets as the ceiling started to slope down. One needed to crouch to get to the next part. There were potential traps inside if everything prior was any indication. That was why I had Orcy return to wherever she had been before I summoned her. I didn't want to have her get hurt.

"Iah! If you can hear me, come back here before you get yourself killed!" I yelled.

"I can't be easily killed!" Iah's voice echoed.

I smiled. So, he's not that far.

I dropped to the ground and crawled over to the small passage. Suddenly, the entrance was blocked by thick bricks.

"Iah!" I yelled.

"Sorry, Nyima. I know that you mean well, but I have to regain my power. Return to Adela and the others. I'll meet you up in the surface once I've found the power spoken of in the tablet."

"That power was locked away for a reason! Now come back here!" I waited for a minute, but there was no response. "Iah?"

Was he ignoring me, or had something happened?