Episode 27: Breaking the Void

*An*

I glanced around the void I found myself in. The voices that had once called out to me had long since stopped. Though, I would still hear murmurs, as if someone were talking to me.

I sat down on the invisible floor and sighed. Was I dead?

My eyes shifted toward the white wonder above me. Though, this place looked nothing like what I was told it would. I pushed myself up. But if this were the afterlife, then my sister and parents would have to be around somewhere.

I cupped my hands and took a deep breath. "Mom! Dad! Sis! Are you there? It's me, An! I'm sorry I failed to live longer, but I'm here!"

There was no response.

I blinked, chasing the tears which were forming. "Mom? Dad? Sis? Where are you? Someone, please respond!"

Could those who say that the afterlife is nothingness have been right?

I sat back down and curled up into a ball. "Mommy, Daddy, sis. I thought that we could reunite once day..." I sniffed. "So why, why aren't you here?"

"An," a voice called out.

I gasped and raised my head. "Sis!" Yet, there was no one there. "Sis? Where are you?"

"Please wake up, An!"

"Wake up? So I'm not dead?!"

There was no response.

I gulped and closed my eyes, but I found myself in an endless stream of white.

I opened my eyes, and yet again, I was still in the same place. "How do I wake up, Sis?" I asked, looking up.

Nothing but silence filled the air.

I jumped to myself and held out my hand. "Please answer, Sis! I'm tired of being here! It feels like I've been here for an eternity! Please help me wake up!"

Suddenly, my sword appeared in my hand. I looked straight and raised it in front of me. I took a deep breath, took a step forward, and swung it with all my might. I remained in the void.

I lowered my head. What did I think would happen? That I would tear a void through this nightmare?

My eyes shifted toward my sword. Its ivory exterior appeared yellow against the white of the void. I took another deep breath and closed my eyes, entering the same neverending bombardment of white as before.

"An!" a voice called out, snapping me out of my concentration. Granted, I wasn't really getting anywhere.

I turned around and gasped as a giant purple spirit bird floated in front of me.

"Ying!" I yelled.

"Finally, I've gotten through to you."

"Through to me? What exactly happened to me?" I asked, touching my head.

"You fell into a coma after overusing your powers during the Mahoulympics. You should've listened to Ning when she warned you not to overdo it!"

I gasped as memories rushed into my head. My hands clenched the hilt of the ivory sword so tightly that it started to crack. "Aida! She hurt Sarah!"

"You managed to defeat her, but at the cost of your health. You've been unconscious for months. I'm not sure if it's because of the weak state your brain is in, or due to your powers, but it took me until now to get to you."

"Months?"

"Yes. You missed the second semester of the school year. Even winter vacation is nearing its end."