Episode 39: Training

I swung my macuahuitl in front of me, slicing through the air and the sea

I swung my macuahuitl in front of me, slicing through the air and the sea. I had chosen an area close but still distant enough from the hotel that the others wouldn't notice me.

I smiled as I moved my sword toward my side. The crisp morning air tickled my sweat covered face. The sun was barely starting to rise over the horizon.

I wiped the sweat off of my forehead with my right sleeve and smiled at the sight. It was as if the sea, land, and sky were being set ablaze.

"Strange, I didn't think you had a thing for sunrises," a voice called out.

I spun around and saw Iah leaning on the rail at the edge of the elevated platform overlooking the beach.

"And I didn't think you had a thing for getting up this early."

He snickered. "I usually don't."

I stared at his track pants and sweat-covered shirt. "Went out for a run I presume?"

He ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I wanted to get in some extra training in."

"For what? A marathon?"

"No, just training my body." He glanced at the rising sun and smiled weakly. "I think I might've entered an impasse with my magic, so I wish to at least strengthen my body." He looked down at me and grinned. "I don't want to fall behind you again."

I put a hand on my hip. "An impasse? You think you've peaked?"

He waved his hand. "No way, I got room to grow. I'm sure of it."

I leered at him. "No need to play up the bravado around me. We've known each other for years now, Iah. " I lowered my eyes as I recalled the things I had told him years ago. "You're worried about a repeat of what happened years ago, aren't you?"

"It... it hasn't gotten that bad. Who knows, maybe it's only temporary until I hit another stride." He jumped over the rail and landed beside me. "Say, how about a match for old times sake?"

I stared at his forced smile. I sighed and raised my wooden sword at him. "I think you should get checked up. It could be serious."

He laughed. "Come on, you're starting to sound like Yen with Lei."

"Iah, did you ever find out what caused the disappearance of your magic?" I asked, turning away.

"N-no. I didn't. None of the doctors could tell me with certainty what it was. Some think it might've all been in my head."

I smiled. "Well, if they were right, then that can't be the cause of your current impasse. You don't have room in that head of yours for things other than girls."

He narrowed his eyes. "Ha, ha. Very funny." He crossed his arms and started making his way toward the sea. It had a purplish tint thanks to the rising sun.