Episode 122: Boomeranging Sadness

*Nyima*

"We're home at last!" Kun said, stretching as we got off the ship.

"Yeah," Nahimana said, sighing as she trailed us.

"Are you alright?" Wanikiya asked, glancing at her.

She smiled slightly. "Just a little dizzy is all."

Zelde snickered as she walked on ahead of us.

"What was that?" Nahimana asked, her face reddening.

"What? I didn't say a thing?" Zelde said, looking over her shoulder.

Nahimana narrowed her eyes. "I meant that laugh."

"Oh that. I was surprised to learn that you're bad with ships is all."

"N-not all of the time! I didn't feel sick on the way to Nine Petal last year!"

"True, maybe as it was a more sea worthy vessel," Wanikiya said.

"That it was," I said, passing Zelde.

"Hey, what's wrong?" the red-head asked.

"Nothing's wrong," I said, forcing a smile.

She sighed. "Like I believe that."

"Nor do I," Lei said, huffing as he put his hands behind his head. He frowned as I got further away from the group. "Ny, you're sounding like you did back in Mina."

I gripped my luggage. "Perhaps I am."

Zelde and he gasped as I ran off. Much to my surprise, Lei didn't chase after me. Sorry and thank you, Lei.

"Yahoo!" a voice called out. I looked up and saw it was my mother. She smiled. "What's with the long face? You should be beaming. Aren't you happy to see your mother?"

I averted my gaze. "Not particularly."

She put a hand near her chest and sighed. "Ever the cold daughter. I bet if it was your dad, you would've smiled."

I opened up the backseat of the car. "I'm not in the mood for jokes, Mom."

Mother took a deep breath. "You truly are your father's daughter. Like I told him years ago, the best time for comedy is when one is sad."

I snorted. She sounded like Kun.

"Yay! I got a laugh out of you!" Mother said, raising her arms.

"Hey, keep your attention on the wheel!" I snapped.

She continued to snicker as she put her hands back on the wheel. "Alright, Mom!"

I grumbled. Who is she calling 'Mom'? She's the one who is supposed to be the mature one here, not me. Once I'm older, people will probably think that I am her mom when seeing us squabble like this...

I pressed my head against the back of her seat. "Thanks, Mom," I whispered, closing my eyes.

Once I opened my eyes, I found myself being carried on Mom's back. She was a tall lady, with muscular arms too, fitting for a lady who worked out each morning. Mother always said that exercise made one happier. Perhaps, I should've tried that...

"M-Mom?" I said, sitting up.

Mom looked up. "Hey, you've finally woken up, buckarina! Get down, or else you'll hit your head on the doorway."

I ducked, allowing Mom to enter our apartment.

"Welcome back... Ny, what happened to you?" Dad asked, putting down the pie he had on the counter and rushing over to us.