Episode 13: Taming the Raging Storm

*Iah*

"The atmosphere, it's unstable," Lei said as he rubbed his shoulders. "There's an excess of magic particles in the air."

Nyima held out her hand, catching some of the water droplets falling. "Whatever caused it, this surge in magical energy seems to be what caused the power outage."

"I think so too, but I wouldn't say that the magic surge itself was what caused the outage, but rather the shockwave that released said energy," Lei said, keeping his eyes on the sky.

"Something that can release bursts of energy? Hmm, well, certain forms of lightning can do that," Yuzuki said. "Especially those created by mages like yourself."

Lei nodded. "Yeah, but those tend to have minimal range. At most, they can impact a city."

Nyima gulped. "In that case, I think I understand what it was."

I gripped my chest as I thought of what my schoolmates were implying. Someone had to have used the most fearsome creation of magiktech, a magista bomb.

I nodded. "I do too. There's no other alternative that comes to mind, someone must've detonated a magis high in the atmosphere to create an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to fry our technology."

Mithril's eyes widened. "A magis? Then, does that mean that Kyuu Seishin or Tora attacked us? They're the only other known nations that have magista bombs in the region."

"What if it wasn't from the region?" Kun asked as he knelt on the ground, panting.

"There are only five other magista powers, not counting the arsenal wielded by His Majesty, Magus Maximus Daisuke," a familiar voice called out. Making his way toward us was Eri who was accompanied by Serein.

"Brother! Serein!" Yuzuki said as Lei helped her make her way to them.

"Aunty!" Serein yelled, running over to them. "Me glad aunty safe! Same for cousins! Me thought something bad happened!"

Yuzuki knelt down and hugged him. "There, there, Sei, everything is fine. Sure, we did go through a tough situation there, but we got out of it."

Lei patted his cousin's head. "I'm glad that you're safe too."

Serein sniffled. "Me fine. Me was just playing when everything suddenly went bzzt and clouds covered sky."

"Do you know what happened while we were underground?" I asked, turning to look at the child's father.

"It all happened too quickly, but I eventually arrived at the same conclusion as you," Eri said, glancing up at the sky. "The surge of energy came from the east. Luckily, it appears that the damage wasn't as serious as it could've been."

I chuckled. "For real?"

"Yeah, my little brother and Feng are helping fix up the elevator. I was actually going to go check up on how he was doing. I thought of teleporting over to you, but with no other earth users, around, I had no idea how to find you."

"In that case, we should go and help them out," Ai said, turning around. "Let's go fellas!"

Everyone except for Mithril followed after her.

"What about my mom and the others?" Lei asked, looking up at his uncle-in-law.

"Your mom and aunt went to town to see how things were."

We glanced at the two vehicles still parked.

"By foot?" Lei asked.

"They didn't wish to take the cars, as they figured traffic would be hectic given the power outage. I did offer to warp them there, but they told me to stay here and monitor the situation here."