Episode 82: Mud

I watched as the girl running toward where I was hidden tripped on a rock

"Are you okay, Na?" her friend asked.

"R-run away, Xao!" she said as she tried to stand up.

The boy huffed and grabbed her.

"Huh? What are you doing?"

"I'm taking you with me! I'm not leaving you behind!"

"B-but why? You're going to end up captured too!"

"Friends are supposed to care for one another," the little kid said, smiling.

I lowered my head. Indeed. Not hurt them like me.

"Found you!" a lilac-haired man said as he rushed at the kids.

The girl closed her eyes and let out a shriek. The boy gritted his teeth, ready to face his death. He opened his eyes as he realized death failed to come for him.

He gasped as he turned to look at me. In my hand was my katana, blocking the man's giant axe.

"Run and hide!" I said, pushing the man's axe back.

The boy nodded. "Thanks, stranger!" he said before running ahead.

"Who the heck are you?" the man growled.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Who are you? Attacking children like this?"

"Those are orphans. No one will miss them if they go missing. Plus, I was ordered to eliminate the resistance, which includes those children."

I raised the earth around his feet and struck him with my elbow, sending him falling back.

"Ridiculous. You Hierarchians fear a bunch of children?"

The man grunted as he got up. "Children are the most dangerous thanks to their innocence. It's one of the reasons they've been used in lopsided wars like the one they're facing."

He had a point there. Not that it mattered. In addition to being children, they were likely friends of Sarah's. As such, I had to protect them. Not that I was close to her, but I did respect her as a fellow royal. If anything, she was a better one than me. She wasn't next in line considering her nephew, yet she still fought hard for her kingdom. Meanwhile, as the heir, I decided to abandon mine. Caring only for my own well being.

He picked up his axe and swung it down on me. "Tell me who is your leader."

I smiled as I blocked his axe with my katana. "No one sent me here."

"Lies! I'll just have to extract that info from your dead body!"

He had that kind of magic?

The ground shattered underneath my feet.

"How can you keep standing?" the man axed and he pressed all of his weight in the axe.

I gritted my teeth. "Earth magic!" I yelled as a single horn appeared on my forehead. I lurched forward, stabbing the man in the chest.