Episode 24: A Familiar Taste

*Adela*

I stared at the empty bowl in front of me as I put down my chopsticks. I put my hand against my face and glanced out of the window beside the booth I sat in. I let out a sigh.

Iah said this place was the best for Minese noodles in the area, but they were clearly lacking. It lacked the spice and sweetness that Papa's had.

"You didn't like them," Iah said as he looked at me from across the table.

I forced a smile. "They were alright."

"I expected more," Elliot blurted out. "The sauce is too watered down and it needs more spices. Honestly, I can make a better dish than this."

"Quiet down, Elli. You're being rude," Xun whispered.

Iah smiled. "If that's so, then how about I ask the cook here to let you whip something up?"

Elliot stretched his arms out and smirked. "Do it!"

"I haven't had your cooking in ages," Lei said. "Though it wasn't good, last I recall."

"That's because I was barely learning. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I have a much better hand in the kitchen than I did when I was 10."

"Curious as to what kind of noodles Adela's big brother can cook up," Nyima said.

Elliot stood up. "You'll see, or rather taste, soon!"

Iah snickered as he got up and walked after him.

"I have to see this," Lei said, following after the two boys.

"Same here!" Hikaru yelled, jumping to his feet.

"Hey, try not to fill up the kitchen. You know what they say about too many cooks," Nyima said.

"Me want to cook," Serein said as he glanced over at our side of the booth. He moved his hand up and down as if cutting something. "Me only know chop-chop."

"Want to follow them?" Shandian asked with a mischievous smile.

Serein nodded. "Yeah, but they enough cooks."

Yuzuki hugged him. "Ahh, don't worry. We can have Hika and Lei teach you. Your uncle and cousin are the best cooks I know. Well, Adela isn't bad either."

I snickered. "Thanks for remembering me."

"Yeah, well, I know when to give props to people, even when they aren't exactly my favorite."

The two of us exchanged glares.

"Yuzu, stop arguing with your love rivals," Eri said, sighing.

Yuzuki's face reddened.

"Let her, it's fun to watch," Kun and Yen said, snickering.

Eri's sister cleared her throat as she sat back down. "Fine, I'll stop, but mostly as I don't want to be these two's personal entertainment."

I laughed. "I think it's too late for that."

"You should be as annoyed as her," Nyima said as she opened up a fortune cookie.

"What's your fortune?" Zelde asked, glancing at her. "I got 'You will draw closer to the one you like' as mine."

"Ehh?" Nahimana said.

"What's wrong?" Wanikiya asked, glancing over at us. He had sat with Eri's family.

Nahimana cleared her throat. "Oh, nothing major." She snickered. "I was just surprised that Zelde believes in such stuff."