Episode 31: Hide and Seek

A warm tropical breeze hit Sarah and me as soon as we stepped outside of the beach-side hotel

"Such a nice day, huh?" I said, covering my eyes with my hand. If only I had brought my straw hat with me.

Sarah glanced up at me and tilted her head.

I smiled. "What's wrong, you seem surprised."

She pointed up at the sun and made a couple of hand signs.

"You're asking if my eyes are sensitive to the light? Not really. Well, not anymore. They used to be as sensitive as anyone else's before I started mastering light magic. Of course, that's not to say that my eyes won't start hurting after some time. I'm not immune to intense light."

Sarah rubbed her chin.

"When I learned light magic? Well, it was shortly before my move. I decided to learn light magic to fight beings of the abyss."I had initially learned it to show off to my friend. It wasn't until after he had gotten attacked by those creatures that I began to take it seriously. If not for the knight with the silver shield dashing in to save him, who knows what would've happened.

Ironically, I wasn't around to protect him from those creatures even after learning it. Not to say that it was useless. It did help me protect Nine Petal Academy. Plus, if the darkness ever consumed Lei, I would be able to save him, so long as I was around and with sufficient stamina.

"Hey!" a voice called out. Sarah and I turned to see Zelde walking over to us with two full hot dogs in one hand and a half-bitten one in the other.

"Thanks," I said, taking them from the future chieftess. "Here you go, Sarah. It's warm, so be careful."

The princess smiled slightly as she took the hot dog from me. Though, that smile gradually transitioned into a frown. Yet, through it all, there was a spark of nostalgia in her eyes. She had indicated that she had eaten one before. My guess is as a child by the look in her eyes.

"Is it too greasy?" I asked, wondering if that was the reason for the frown. "We can get you something else if so."

Sarah shook her head. She looked back at it and moved her finger across in waves.

"You want ketchup?" Zelde asked.

Sarah nodded.

"Alright, I'll go get some. I wasn't sure what kind of condiments you wanted, so I left them plain. That said, they also have radish, mustard, and other stuff. Do you want any of them too?"

Sarah shook her head.

"I'll go add the ketchup for her. I Will get some radish for myself too while I'm at it," I said.

"Alright. Meanwhile, I'll go see what else there is to eat with Sarah."

"Don't wander off too far."