Episode 81: Swamp and Serpents

*Hal*

I sighed as we continued to walk across a large marsh. The thick mud attached to my shoes didn't help matters either. I would've traveled by the branches of the trees, if it weren't for the Hiearchian soldiers patrolling the skies.

The mosquitos made things worse, but by secreting toxins from my skin, they died as soon as they landed on me.

"Can't you dry up the ground? Or at least make it less squishy?"

"I already am," Hew said, glancing back.

That so? Was he not trying hard enough? Would imagine that a Hierarchian would do better than this.

The kid on my shoulders patted my head. "You can do it, mister."

I sighed. Why did I feel like a pack mule? Usually I didn't feel like this when carrying my little brother, Jude.

"Can't you make less soggy than you already are?" one of the girls complained.

"I would, but doing so might alarm the beasts in this swamp."

I glanced down at it the mud it began to shake.

"What's going on?" one of the older boys asked.

"Stay calm," Fan said, gripping the kids. 'Stay close."

Hew gritted his teeth.

"Is it one the beast you mentioned?"

He turned around. "No. Magic is causing this. If I'm not mistaken, this is the doing of her, Lithdia of the Baraggan Three."

"Baraggan?" the boy on my shoulders asked.

Hew nodded. "They're one of the top units. Each one is stronger than those of us who participated in the games."

I gulped. The idea of facing someone stronger than Aida in the middle of this swamp didn't sound like a pleasing way to end my winter vacation.

Hew moved to the back and waved his hands. A wave of clear water struck us on the back, pushing us forward.

"What are you doing?" I yelled as I tried to avoid falling over.

"Go without me. I'll see what I can do to distract them."

I turned around. "Alright. Take care. I don't want your death on my conscious."

Hew sighed. "I don't plan to fight her."

Then he must have a trick in mind.

Fan took a deep breath. "What is that young man thinking?"

"Not sure either, but we should use this time he's bought us," I said as I continued on my way. We ran deeper into the swamp. How far did this go?

Suddenly, the ground shook once again. "That lady must be getting closer," the kid on my shoulders said. He held on tightly as I swayed back and forth. Keeping my footing was getting tougher. I gritted my teeth as I realized my feet were sinking into the mud. Liquefaction!

The older kids yelled as they were sunk into the mud halfway.

I threw thick metal wires at them. "Keep calm and hold on to those! I'll get you out!"

One of the girls took several deep breaths. "O-okay!"

Another wire flew out of my right wrist, grabbing one of the tree branches. The device on my wrist let out a sharp sound as it struggled to pull me and the kids up.

"It's not working!" one of the stuck boys yelled.

The younger kids on their shoulders started to cry.