Episode 102: Southern Front

*Boukyaku*

[Meanwhile- Ten miles north of Sera's southern border]

I glanced around as we pushed the minimal Hierarchian army back.

"Something the matter, Sir?" a voice called out. I turned and saw Mayu dressed in a black and green uniform.

I'd told her not to call me sir, but seemed she wouldn't listen.

"Be on your guard. This could be a trap," I said.

She gasped. "A trap?" Her eyes darted across the wind swept fields of southern Sera. They were largely empty except the bodies of a dozen and a half Hierarchian soldiers. We'd lost the same number of men and women. I'd failed to protect them. As I was now, I couldn't protect them, just like how I couldn't protect Lucette.

"Yes, they plan to lead us further into Sera. It's possible that they're spread throughout and plan to dwindle our forces on the way to the capital."

Mayu sighed. "So, guerilla warfare."

"Exactly. We could go as one mass, but that could play into their trap. Dividing into units might be better. But not too small, as that could play into their strategy too."

She nodded and walked ahead of. "I understand." Her eyes darted upward. She pushed me and covered herself in plants.

"Oh, you think that plants will save you?" a voice called out. I jumped to my feet. It was Aida. They sent a fifteen-year old to war? No, that shouldn't have surprised me. These were the same people who kidnapped kids and took over nations while in the guise of 'aid'.

"Sir," one of my soldiers said. Some of them broke into screams. Something was attacking the back flank.

"W-what's going on? What's attacking us?" Youko asked.

"Hold the line. Don't run! You'll cause more casualties that way than fighting the enemy!" Mayu yelled.

I flicked one of my tails toward Aida, only to have it bounce back. I winced. A water barrier had shielded her, causing the force of the attack to bounce back to me.

"Hew," I said, eyeing the stoic white-haired young man.

He held a hand out to us, forming a water sphere.

"That spell..."

"Let me handle this, boss," a voice called out from behind. Same leaped toward Hew, slicing his water sphere in half. An explosion of water rocked the land, sending the two of them, Aida, and the rest of us flying.

Mayu stopped us from falling over one another like dominoes by covering us in wooden casings.

I smiled slightly. "Thanks for the save, Mayu."

"What save? If anything, she doomed you," Aida said, smirking as she clapped her hands.

Mayu raised her hand into the air, raising the honey-comb like wooden structure into the air. It contracted as Aida assumed control.

"Interesting, you managed to maintain control for a little bit there. But you merely delayed the inevitable!"

"Aida, you talk too much. Finish them off," a voice called out. It belonged to Benjamin. He held a sword covered in blood.

So, he's the one who had caused the screaming earlier.

Benjamin eyed me and vanished.

I held a hand in front of me and moved my tails as fast as possible.

Mayu gawked as one of my tails fell to the floor.

"Relax," I whispered.

Ben gasped as I appeared behind him, gripping his neck with my tails.