Episode 90: Raging Gale

*Emile*

[Earlier]

I rushed toward my son as he and his snake familiar plummeted toward the pillar of wind.

A bubble formed underneath Hal, serving as a cushion.

"Got you," I said as he bounced into my arms.

"You're that man from before," the snake said. "Hal's father, right?"

I nodded. "You got that right, Snakey."

"The name is Betheir!"

Ignoring him, I glanced at the pillar of wind as it pushed away the clouds from the area. Whoever was behind it was strong, but they were also wasting their prana on such a flashy move.

My eyes widened as the pillar uncurled, pushing us back. The dust at the base of the vanished pillar cleared, revealing a shirtless young man. His skin had a pastel green color to it and three thin black horns jotted out of his pine-green hair.

The air around his trembled as if afraid of the man.

"An oni?" I muttered.

He lifted his golden eyes toward me. "So, another nuisance has appeared. No matter. I'll deal with you accordingly." The young man held out his hand. An giant axe flew toward him fast, yet despite its momentum, he caught it as if it were nothing.

I looked over my shoulder as he appeared behind me. I pushed him back with a blast of water and undid the water bubble beneath me, causing me, Hal, and Beithir to fall back down.

The young man appeared in front of me and struck me in the gut with the pole of his weapon, sending me flying into a nearby mountain.

"Ouch, that hurt," I said, shaking my head.

"Strange. How is it that you're not badly injured?" my opponent said as he stood right in front of me.

Just how fast was this guy? And how did Hal push him into using this form in the first place?

I held out a single hand and blasted him away with a water jet. The water wrapped around him like chains, keeping him at bay. Hopefully that would hold him long enough.

"His strength, i-it rose so much," Snakey said.

I nodded as I stood up, healing myself at the same time. "I leave you the task of caring for Hal."

"Huh? I would do so, but look at me!" 

Holding out a hand, I transferred over some of my prana to it, causing it to grow into the size of a bus. "Will that work?"

"Yes, but I'm surprised that your prana works. Hmm, it must be because you're his father."

I smiled. That wasn't it. Even if he weren't my son's familiar, my prana would've worked still. That said, belonging to my son did make it easier on me, prana-wise.

Waves of wind blew my way. My water chains snapped. I dashed at the man before he could move and knee-kicked him in the gut, flicking him toward the crater his great waste of prana created.

"That's payback for earlier," I said, running after him.

The man dug his heels into the ground, slowing himself down. He smiled slightly. "Seems that a worthy opponent has appeared at last."

I stretched my arms out and cracked my fingers. "I'm flattered that you think that." Water droplets floated out of my hands. "But it won't save you."

He laughed as he stomped his foot on the ground, causing it to tremble. "Think you got things mixed up, old-timer."

My eyes narrowed. "Wait, did you just call me old? Only Hal is allowed to call me that and even I get mad at him!"