Episode 44: Muddled Thoughts

"I found them!" Lei yelled as he returned with Adela

"I found them!" Lei yelled as he returned with Adela. Also accompanying them was Elliot.

"Thanks for waiting!" Adela yelled as she rushed over to us.

"So, you've finally woken up," I said, grinning.

"Yeah," Elliot said, laughing.

"Well, hope it was a good rest," I said, removing my hands from my pants' pockets. I took a step forward and waved my phone. "Our ride should arrive in a bit, but it'll only be taking us to the northern edge of town. We'll be walking the rest of the way to the savanna."

"I see. Well, I got no issue with walking," Elliot said, smiling widely. "I did a lot of walking back when I was in high school, so I'm ready!"

"Good," I said as a bus stopped near us.

"Huh? Why is it stopping here? This isn't a bus stop," Nyima said.

"Maybe it broke down," Nahimana said.

I snickered. "You're overthinking things. This is our ride."

"You called for a bus to pick us up?" Nyima asked.

"Hey, with this number of people, we need a bus," I said as the doors swung open. "Come. If we don't hurry up, we might not be able to make it back in time for dinner."

"You're making it sound as if we're attending some kind of dinner gathering."

"Nothing like that, but I do have something in mind." I smiled. "I'm sure you will like it."

"As long as there's orange chicken involved, I don't really care," Lei said, grinning.

I laughed. "Don't worry, I made sure it was included in the menu."

He ran over and swung his arm around my neck. "Aww, thanks, buddy!"

I smiled. "You're welcome. Now, hurry up and get inside, unless if you wish to eat it when it's already chilly."

His face turned serious. Like a bolt of lightning, he zipped past me and took a seat in the front. "Hurry, you guys!" Lei yelled.

Nyima sighed as she boarded the bus. "How simpleminded."

Wanikiya laughed. "Yeah, Lei's always has honey chicken in the back of his mind."

Adela giggled as she sat beside him. "I bet Harmonica used that dish to get him to do chores."

"How did you know?" Lei asked, blinking.

Adela smiled at him. "It's something I would do if I were her. Glad to see she thought of it."

"If only I were as good a cook as you and Hika, then it'll be a lot easier to control him," Yen said, sighing.

"Hey, I'm not some robot, you know!" Lei said, crossing his arms over his chest. "Speaking of Mom, where did our parents and Shan go?"